Weber Model #32908 Thermo-Sensor

John Zubersky

Smoked a brisket on my new WSM. Not remembering the 199'F temperature limit of the Weber thermo-sensor, I tried to use it to monitor the smoker temp. The temperature probe is now fried (smoked?). Is there an online source for a replacement probe & cable? I looked on the Weber site for replacement parts, but didn't see a replacement for the probe. I also sent Weber Service an e-mail requesting info. on how to obtain a replacement, but I haven't heard back from them yet.

The typical limits on probe units like these are 392°F/200°C. We couldn't use them even in a WSM if 199 was the top end, as we don't usually cook below 200°. I'd ask for a warranty replacement if you know your cooker didn't exceed 392°F while the thermometer was in use. And I note the Amazon description says the probe physical limit is 482°F.

Thanks for all of your replys. I just got the following back from Weber Service:

"Unfortunately the digital thermometers don't work well with our charcoal grills because there isn't a place to thread the probe through. If you are using this with the Smokey Mountain Cooker, the probe will continue to burn out. Part #/Pricing:44031, Probe for digital thermometer $14.40"

This tells me that the problem may be more related to feeding the cable through the lid joint with the middle section. Does anyone put anything in the gap to keep the lid from pressing on the cable, or do you just exercise caution when replacing the lid? I tried to be careful, but maybe not careful enough.

Additional:

The manual for the Weber Thermo Sensor states the following limitations:

"The operation temperature range of the sensor probe is -4°F to 482°F (-20°C to
250°C). The LCD display range in 0°C/F to 199°C/F. When the display temperature
is out of range, the display’s digits fl ash."

So, the probe should be able to take it, but the readout won't tell you what the temperature is. Even though it looks very much like the OS version, there must be some differences since the Weber "pegged" at 199'F.

Again, thanks for the replys. I think that I will invest in a feedthrough for the cables, and get an OS temperature guage.

I've used a $13 Taylor digital probe thermometer with my WSM for years by threading the cable under the lid. You only have to set the lid down gently, and orient the wire so you don't kink it.

Your Weber contact is half right-- probe thermometers don't work well (read: for very long) with charcoal grills, and gas grills, too, because there's typically no way to keep from exposing the cable to high direct heat from the coals or burners. A WSM that's stabilized under 300°F should not hurt a probe threaded under the lid or thru an eyelet near the top grate.

Back