BBQ Sauce - Refrigeration Necessary?

JoeR

TVWBB Member
I've seen a discussion on another board about how we tend to refrigerate far more things than we need to or should - for example soy sauce, worcesteshire, peanut butter, yellow mustard. Also listed was BBQ sauce.
What do you guys think? Do you refrigerate your BBQ sauce? I use KC Masterpiece usually, and would be happy to have it ready to pour in the future.

It depends on what you're speaking of. From a food safety perspective soy sauce, ketchups, prepared mustards and Worcestershire, along with vinegars and prepared hot sauces like Tabasco are shelf-stable. Peanut butter, unless one goes through the jar in a matter of days or unless it contains preservatives, should be fridged as oils rancidify quicker at room temp and with exposure to light.

From the same perspective: Many commercial Q sauces, hoisin and oyster sauces, ketchups, jams and preserves contain acids and high concentrations of sugars. Often, neither the acid content nor sugar concentration is high enough for true shelf stability though it depends on the product, how it was manufactured, and whether it contains chemical preservatives. Spoilage bacteria (which are different from the bacteria discussed in a food safety context) and mold spores might establish and develop but, again, this depends on product specifics. It also depend on how quickly a product is used. Ketchup, e.g., while fairly stable, is used quickly enough in diners and many restaurants that spoilage is not a concern. In fine dining establishments--and most homes, I'd say--it is not and so would be subject to spoilage.

Most important from my perspective, however, is the effect of air, room temps, and light on products that contain high concentrations of flavor volatiles in suspension, which many of these prducts contain. Some contain items (tomato and mustard, e.g.) whose flavors are better at room temp or warm. But most important to me is preservation of all of these flavor components. Thus, because I do not go through any of these products all that fast and flavor preservation is of prime importance to me, I refrigerate all of products noted in this post, save for a tiny refillable bottle of hot sauce that camps on my table. I have never bought commercial Q sauce but several people have sent me them to clone. After opening, these I refrigerate.

I refrigerate BBQ sauce after opening, but don't refrigerate ketchup ? I have never refrigerated peanut butter ... I think, as suggested in a previous post, it may be how we were brought up. At my age, I would conclude my practice is not a health hazard, at least for me, but maybe I have diminished the flavor of the product.

Paul

My mother never fridged peanut butter either but with three of us kids we went through it. In those days 'natural' peanut butter was non-existant and the highly blended peanut butters of that time, as now, offered more stability because only a small amount of surface was exposed to air. Peanut oil rancidifies more slowly than many other oils but early rancidity is not particularly harmful, it simply tastes 'off'. I use mostly almond or cashew/macadamia butters and not all that quickly, and neither is machine blended so the oil separates readily. I fridge them.

Many Q sauces are probably as shelf-stable as ketchup and so, like ketchup, it's more an issue of spoilage organisms and the loss of flavor(s) that are the concerns.

Well, out of your list the only thing I refigerate is the yellow mustard. Like everyone else, it's how mom always did it.
icon_smile.gif

I do refrigerate my BBQ sauce and ketchup once they're open. On the other hand, I've worked in resturants where the ketchup was left out on the table all day and then refrigerated at night so I'm not sure whether they would really spoil or not.
icon_smile.gif

My wife used to refrigerate the peanut butter but I broke her of the habit. Cold peanut butter just doesn't seem to have any taste to it. On rare occasions I've had the oil start to separate out if I haven't used it for a long time but I never had a problem just mixing it back in.

I do refrigerate the sauces, but like most folks, don't care for cold BBQ sauce on my meat, so....I try to remember to take it out of the fridge and set it on the counter a few hours before using it. Then it's room temp. Sometimes, I'll pour the amount needed into a bowl a couple of hours ahead, leave the bowl out, put the container back in the fridge. That way I'm not worried about spoilage.

so I'm not sure whether they would really spoil or not
They will certainly spoil, as will all foods with a (relatively) significant moisture content--even honey which, contrary to long-popular food myth, contains enough water to spoil. It's always just a matter of time.

The grey-black gunk that you'll find in and on ketchup caps and bottle threads if not kept clean is evidence of spoilage bacteria and oxidation doing their thing as the residue dessicates. Oxidation, i.e., rancidification, is the same thing that happens to fats like nut and seed oils, butter and meat fats. How saturated the fat is determines how quickly the fat will become rancid, generally, meat fats spoiling more quickly, then butter, then nut and seed oils which have their own varying rates depending on levels of saturated, unsaturated and poly- and mono-unsaturated fats.

The ability to detect the presence of spoilage or rancidity varies among and within individuals. Again, spoilage and rancidity affect palatability and are not, usually, harmful (unless spoilage is due to molds). Pathogenic and toxigenic bacteria and viruses are not detectable by taste or smell. (Detecting spoilage can indicate that conditions were such that pathogenic bacteria could have gained a foothold.) Though the presence of either is highly unlikely in commercial products, basic safe food practices should not be minimized in order to keep them that way once opened, whether they're fridged or not.

Interesting topic. Thanks for the insights Kevin. This is just one of the reasons I'm buying both a commercial fridge and a freezer to store all of my bbq goodies in. That, and the fact I tire of having to remove 5 items in my current fridges just to get a jar of sauce out.

Rick

Kevin did a great job. I'd add always keep homemade BBQ Sauce below 41*f because unless you measure the PH you don't know if it's shelf stable.

For commercial product I read the label ... if it says 'Refrigerate after opening' I do so

homemade sauces and such I always refrigerate

sidenote on the peanut butter: I buy smooth 100% natural peanut butter no additives (it truly is smooth, no chunks to be found). I take it all out of the jar and mix it up with the oil then put it back in the jar and keep in the fridge. It does not seperate again for some reason. It took a little getting used to but now I can't tolerate 'regular' peanut butter with added salt, sugar and hydrogenated veg oil.

My wife has been buying the bulk packs (two big jars) of the regular peanut butter ever since we got married. For some unknown reason she bought a jar of the natural kind in the middle of me working my way through the regular stuff (had just opened the second jar). I tried the natural kind and polished that jar off in a couple of weeks. Mmmmmm good. She wouldn't buy more until I finished the old stuff.
icon_frown.gif
Ah yes, I'm married to a sadist.
icon_biggrin.gif
I just finished off the last of the old stuff yesterday and there's a brand-new jar of natural sitting on the counter. The darnedest thing is she hates peanut butter so it took me months to finish that last jar. Cruel, cruel woman.
icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by Shawn W:
I can't tolerate 'regular' peanut butter with added salt, sugar and hydrogenated veg oil.

Back