I Can't Believe I did This!!!!

Paul H

TVWBB Gold Member
Went down to the freezer on Monday to pull Pork Butts out for a cook on Saturday. Had to move some things around in the freezer, took our Christmas turkey out to get at the butts.My wife went down the basement this morning and tripped over my turkey still on the floor. YIKES!!!! Do you think it's still good? I'm going to try to throw it in a brine today and cook hot and fast tomorrow. It's tough getting old
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by paul h:
Do you think it's still good? I'm going to try to throw it in a brine today and cook hot and fast tomorrow. It's tough getting old
icon_smile.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

While you're cooking it call and make arrangements for you and your guests at the local hospital.
icon_eek.gif

You were joking, right?

Unless your basement is very cold and the bird was still in the refrigerator/freezer temp zone, I'd toss it.

Went home at lunch time and took an internal temp of the bird. Was over 60. Told the little woman we had to dump it. She complained that she just spent $12 on ingredients for a brine. I mentioned to her that if we cooked and served this to people it would give a whole new meaning to the statement that people are dying for my smoked turkey. You guys are right better to be safe than sorry.

The turkey would be more of a risk had it been already cooked.

The toxin producers Staph. aureus and C. botulinum and B. cereus are not a significant risk in raw food. Since, presumably, the turkey was still in its wrapping, Staph is even less of an issue since it hasn't been handled directly. At 60F, the turkey is spoiling. Cooking to a correct internal will make it safe, just like it would had you not left it on the floor but thawed it correctly and cooked it.

However, it's the time lag between Monday and today that would give me pause because there's no way of knowing how long the bird was ~60. If spoilage bacteria had taken hold the bird would develop off flavors (some even way off) and though cooking would make it safe it wouldn't taste very good. Pitching it, unfortunately, is the way to go.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">tripped over my turkey still on the floor. YIKES!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Paul,

On the positive side, you did not fall and break any bones. The price of the turkey is small compared to what could have happened if you fell hard (or ate the damned thing).

Ray

Ray, you're right- this season I have a lot to be grateful for and those just got added to my list.

Back