Kettle Butt

ScottE

Closed Account
What do you do when your latin inspired fattie becomes a great ball of fire??

You cook again the next day!!
icon_biggrin.gif

Rubbed a butt down with Miners Mix Kits KC rub and let her rest overnight. Used -1- char-basket with some apple mini-chunks for smoke.

001-138.jpg

002-95.jpg

I did a butt on the kettle a while back, just to try it.

Did a Minion start, lighting only 10 briquettes, behind a couple of fire bricks. Even with the bottom vents closed, the temp climbed to well over 300.

You always see folks say of the WSM to keep the top vent wide open. I had to go against that for the OTG kettle to get the temp down. It worked fine.

My neighbor cooks on three Weber kettles, and he often closes the top vent to just a crack, and his food comes out great.

How has your experience been with temps on the kettle?

It is running around 300 just like yours did!!

I think I will back the top vent down a bit because I am done with the smoking part of the cook....thanks for the tip!

Made the adjustment but the kettle is staying around 300 which is fine because I am more of a power cooker these days........

Gotcha covered Ed!!

So when I went too wrap I discovered I had no brown sugar to pack on the butt so what to do........I grabbed some pancake syrup and covered the butt in it and foiled ( what the heck, I ruined yesterdays supper..lets go for two in a row )
icon_biggrin.gif

Came out real good!! Super easy to pull with a light sweetness too it...I can go to work happy tomorrow!!

001-140.jpg

002-96.jpg

Me and Pops even got some sammies for lunch!!

and......got a bunch wrapped up for something neat next weekend...............
icon_rolleyes.gif

Back