Added a Cold Smoker and stuff to my 18.5" WSM. "Chooga" is born!

Troy O

A little while back I posted here asking if anybody used a Smoke Daddy cold smoker with their WSM, and Carlton Wilson responded with good advice and real world experience. His comment about placement concerned me a bit about the cold smoker being on the lower side of the middle section, and it being a hassle when he takes it off to place it on the ground. I was thinking of putting it in the same place myself, so I got to thinkin' on where it should go... how about the door?
I called Weber, ordered another door assembly, received it and went to town on what I now call "Chooga". Installed the Smoke Daddy at the lowest part of the door possible as well as lid hangers, 3" wheels (installed BADLY), Cajun Bandit probe grommet and wired an extra coal grate to the coal ring to burn lump.
I had extra parts from two Patio Caddie grills I used to make one unit, and utilized the extra lid hangers and the grill grate for my WSM mods. The lid hangers are awesome with solid contact almost 1/2" down the WSM lip, and the grate is almost 15" dia., a perfect fit. All I need now is a set of handles I like and that will be safe too, then I'm set!
If you like these mods, look for a cheap or free Patio Caddie grill on craigslist to make your grate and lid mods, as for the cold smoker... you know where to go
icon_wink.gif
Happy smoking to all!

smoker%2520mods%2520005.jpg

smoker%2520mods%2520007.jpg

smoker%2520mods%2520011.jpg

sm1.jpg

sm2.jpg

Thanks Shaun, and I'll post up something soon. What I really want to do is smoke bacon, but that'll have to wait for cooler temps.

Back