frozen to thawed to frozen

j. pavone

TVWBB Super Fan
long story short - i just got home from work and went to the freezer to get something out when to my disbelief everything is thawed out and with my thermo reading 51 degrees. i dont care about losing some frozen goodies,a little chicken, a case of burger patties and a small pork loin but i am a little upset on the thawed out 15lb cryo brisket packer. i should know better than to put it in the working freezer but i have no time to smoke this. would it be fine for the next 10 days in the fridge? should i toss it with the other stuff considering it sat at 51 degrees for almost 2 days?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by j. pavone:
long story short - i just got home from work and went to the freezer to get something out when to my disbelief everything is thawed out and with my thermo reading 51 degrees. i dont care about losing some frozen goodies,a little chicken, a case of burger patties and a small pork loin but i am a little upset on the thawed out 15lb cryo brisket packer. i should know better than to put it in the working freezer but i have no time to smoke this. would it be fine for the next 10 days in the fridge? should i toss it with the other stuff considering it sat at 51 degrees for almost 2 days? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

TOSS IT! Small price to pay versus getting sick or getting someone else sick.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Larry Wolfe:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by j. pavone:
long story short - i just got home from work and went to the freezer to get something out when to my disbelief everything is thawed out and with my thermo reading 51 degrees. should i toss it with the other stuff considering it sat at 51 degrees for almost 2 days? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

TOSS IT! Small price to pay versus getting sick or getting someone else sick. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
2 days at 51 degrees is pushing it in my book. I'm with Larry here, toss it.

Two days is way too long at 50+ degrees in my book. Shame to lose it, but a bigger shame to get sick or worse yet, get your loved ones sick.

Thanks for the response back.I bought about a month and a half ago for a party on december 2nd so no big deal. better safe than sorry. I will feed it to the garbage can and go buy a new piece.

Happy Holidays To All

The only things I'd be very concerned about are the patties and for two possible reasons: one, if they were already cooked (anything already cooked should be pitched in this case); two, if you like your patties cooked rare.

Nothing that can grow in a two-day period at up to 51F is anything that would alarm me because pasteurization would occur with cooking and the food would be safe. As long as you are not serving the food uncooked, I see no reason to think anyone would or even could become sick.

Again, already cooked food would be a big concern. Cooked food is much more potentially dangerous in this scenario than uncooked food.

Back