Barbacoa de Cabeza

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Anybody ever tried a Mexican style cow head on the WSM? Most people here in Texas bury them in the ground with hot coals, but I imagine the WSM would work pretty well. At any rate, it would be an impressive sight when you took the top off the smoker.

I've never heard of anyone doing this on the WSM. You must send me a photo if you do... /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Regards,
Chris

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Big Ir:
[qb] Sounds like you are watching too much Fear Factor??!! [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Legends of Texas BBQ is an excellent read and I highly recommend it.

I'm reading Legends of Texas Barbecue now, almost finished, and I'm enjoying it a lot.

The first time I read about barbacoa de cabeza was in "Smokestack Lightning". There's a description on page 34 of how the heads are flushed out using a water hose, and a photo on page 35 showing a stack of foil-wrapped heads with a couple of skinned, unwrapped heads in the foreground with those big teeth just sticking out.

It does look like something you'd see on Fear Factor, but it's an interesting and important part of Tex-Mex barbecue history.

Regards,
Chris

I work at Meacham airport, about a mile from the historic Stockyards in Fort Worth and I can honestly say that if you find someone who cooks it right, Barbacoa de Cabeza is excellent. I especially like it on Mexican Pita bread with lettuce, tomato and a jalepeno.

If you decide to try it on a WSM, please post the results.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I especially like it on Mexican Pita bread with lettuce, tomato and a jalepeno. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Gee...I didn't realize they make a pita bread that big... /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back