chicken thigh cooking times

j. pavone

TVWBB Super Fan
I am having some friends over on sunday to watch our Buffalo Sabres whip the rangers asses again for 2pm dinner. 7lb butt going on saturday night then sometime sunday morning i want to do chicken thighs.About how long do i need to cook chicken thighs to be ready at 2pm on sunday?

Good BBQ + Cold Beer + Sabres Hockey =
icon_biggrin.gif

j.

Chicken needs to be cooked to 180 degrees, however you plan on cooking. On the kettle at 350 - 400 indirect it normally about 2 hours or a bit less. On the WSM top rack without any pan is also around 2 hours. Using the water pan can get close to 4 hours at lower cooking temps. Just make sure the inside meat is 180 degrees.

Randy

I prefer to use the Weber kettle for thighs with cooker temps ~450. I usually start them 50-60 minutes before I plan to eat. That gives me some time to rest them when they are done.

Chicken needs to hit an internal of 160 for safety reasons. Above that temp it becomes an issue of palatability and personal preference. Most people prefer breasts no more than 165 but the dark portions higher, above 175.

I'm smoking a pork butt as well this weekend but it's to watch the Rangers kick some Sabres butt. At least I hope your food comes out good!

-Sean Avery

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by S Hawk:
I'm smoking a pork butt as well this weekend but it's to watch the Rangers kick some Sabres butt. At least I hope your food comes out good!

-Sean Avery </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Well, we all hope your food comes out good as well..
icon_smile.gif

Sabres 2 ~ Rangers 0

Good luck!
icon_wink.gif

Back