smoking food can cause cancer?

Erik G

TVWBB Pro
Yesterday, I was talking to a friend and he said that the components involved in smoke created from using charcoal are known carcinogens. So I decided to look this up on the net and found this article. What's everyones opinion on this?

Where There's Smoke, There's Cancer Risk
Grilling meat, poultry, or fish, whether over wood, charcoal, or gas, exposes the food -- and whoever eats it -- to two separate carcinogens, or cancer-causing agents. Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) are found in the smoke created when fat drips from meat, chicken skin, or fatty fish (such as salmon) onto a heat source. The PAH-filled smoke coats the food, which we then ingest.

The second type of carcinogen, heterocyclic amines (HCAs), develops in meat, poultry, and fish that is cooked over high heat. Extreme temperatures prompt a reaction between the food's natural amino acids and creatine, a substance found in muscle tissue. HCAs are the product of that reaction. HCAs can also form in foods that are broiled, especially well-done red meat.

Researchers in a 1996 study found that people who eat their beef well done are more than three times as likely to develop cancer as those who prefer their steaks medium-rare or rare. Other research suggests a link between high consumption of well-done, fried, and barbecued meats to an increase in colorectal, pancreatic, and breast cancer. Animal studies also associate HCAs and lung cancers.

Safer Grilling Guidelines
The good news is that if you take a few precautions, you can enjoy the fun and food of outdoor cooking and stay healthy, too.

Stay clear of burned steer. This simple change may be the most difficult to make for fans of charred steaks, hamburgers, and chicken. At the very least, eat well-done meat sparingly. (While avoiding extremes, you'll still want to cook meat completely, to make sure you eliminate illness-causing bacteria like E. coli.)

Keep the fat to a minimum. Cut down on carcinogens by grilling only lean cuts of meat and trimming all visible fat, and removing the skin from chicken.

Grill fish instead. Fish generally contains less fat than meat and poultry do, which makes it less likely to create PAH-carrying smoke. And it tends to require much less time on the grill, reducing its exposure to carcinogens.

Precook your foods. The higher the temperature at which foods cooks and the longer it stays on the grill, the more HCAs develop. Partially cooking meat or poultry in the microwave for two to five minutes draws out most of the potentially harmful chemicals without sacrificing moistness. (Be sure to discard the juices produced.) You can also place it in the oven at a low temperature. An additional benefit to these approaches is that slow-cooking the food and then finishing it on the grill prevents the charred-on-the-outside, raw-on-the-inside result that has embarrassed many an outdoor chef. To prevent bacteria from multiplying, grill the food immediately after precooking.If you want to read more, click here

Opinion? My opinion on this is that if I ever get to the point where eating charred food is my biggest health risk, then I'll give it some thought. Personally, I'm a pretty long way away from that. Second, partially cooking my meat in the microwave is NEVER going to happen. I'd rather go vegan.

<<Keep fat to a minimum.>>

HA HA HA SCREW THAT #*$&. Fat not only flavors food but it also prevents food from drying out.

Erik - Have you checked the cholesterol levels around here? Chances are eating all that grilled and BBQ'd meat will kill you with a stroke or heart attack before the cancer gets you.

Jim

Jerry, I'd rather eat raw meat than go vegan. Tjkoko, lol, i agree with you, it's all about flavor. Jim, there's no doubt in my mind that I'll get heart diseases before cancer. I'm definitely not going to stop bbqing or grilling due to the incredibly low risk of getting cancer from it, I just thought it would be an interesting topic to discuss.

Quoting myself from another thread that raised the same concern:

"This issue has been around since the 80s and received renewed attention in the mid-90s. It is not just grilling, high-heat searing and broiling causes the same reactions...

Maintaining a proper weight, staying fit, and eating a well-balanced, well-rounded diet, rich in fresh fruit, fresh vegetables, and whole grains has been known to promote health and combat a whole host of potential health issues for years. Everyone knows this. And even with the cultural fascination with the 'beautiful people' in the entertainment and sports industries mass America gets more massive every day. Worse, our children are getting more massive every day.

You do not find disproportionate cancer numbers in cultures that predominantly grill their meats, probably because their overall diet includes fruits, vegetables, yogurt, cheeses, grains, and legumes. Nor are these peoples that sit around for much of their lives. You do see increased health issues in cultures where many people have adopted the American predilection for junk foods, heavily processed foods, large portion sizes, and a sedentary existence."

Though there seems to be validity to the PAH-cancer argument I'm not sure that the stress needs to be placed here, as apparent in my concerns stated above. Furthermore, look at these quotes from the Erik's quote above:

"... eat well-done meat sparingly." This is specious. Well-done does not necessarily translate into increased PAH levels. It depends on how the item was cooked--the process--not simply the level to which the food was cooked. This is clearly stated in the paragraph that opens the quote.

"Grill fish instead. Fish generally contains less fat than meat and poultry do,..." Except that many fish varieties contain very high levels of polutants--especially mercury--and should probably be eaten seldomly by many people, not at all by others.

I think scientifically supported information is a good thing--I'm all for it. But I often think priorities appear askew when one steps back and tries to make sense of the plethora of information available at our beck and call. Some is supported and some only appears so; some is urgent, some is only delivered with a skillful 'sense' of urgency; some that perhaps should be more urgent is subject to political machinations and mostly gets swept under the rug. Though this information is supported, imo, its urgency is trumped by other issues, especially those concerning diet variety, portion size, exercise, proper handwashing, and proper, safe cooking procedures (which includes the use of tip-sensitive thermometers), cooling and food storage.

This has been beat to Death since the begining of time. Yes it'll kill you if you eat it like 100,000 times a day Blah, Blah, Blah! Margarine will kill you faster.
icon_biggrin.gif
Yeah right you say, well just remember this, a cockroatch won't even eat that crap.
icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Erik G:
Jerry, I'd rather eat raw meat than go vegan. Tjkoko, lol, i agree with you, it's all about flavor. Jim, there's no doubt in my mind that I'll get heart diseases before cancer. I'm definitely not going to stop bbqing or grilling due to the incredibly low risk of getting cancer from it, I just thought it would be an interesting topic to discuss. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Erik - I wish I could eat barbeque as much as I want. But for me it is a matter of moderation and a lot of hours in the gym or other cardio exercise. That is the reason my WSM only gets used every other month.
icon_frown.gif

I've seen posts on some other bulletin boards where someone goes to the doctor after years of regularly chowing large amounts of meat and is surprised that their lipids are elevated. Your attempt to increase our awareness is appreciated by me.

Jim

Hello all,

It seems to me that even those things that are "healthy" for us can be scrutinized in today infromation/technology age and deemed risky. (example: just read an article that stated soy and it's bye-products are not as healthy as once thought) All the info will make for a clearer picture..... someday. Too often it seems, the big picture gets lost in the information.

Q'n, Golf'n & Grill'n.... too many choices.
Gary

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Erik G:
Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) are found in the smoke created when fat drips from meat, chicken skin, or fatty fish (such as salmon) onto a heat source. The PAH-filled smoke coats the food, which we then ingest.

The second type of carcinogen, heterocyclic amines (HCAs), develops in meat, poultry, and fish that is cooked over high heat. Extreme temperatures prompt a reaction between the food's natural amino acids and creatine, a substance found in muscle tissue. HCAs are the product of that reaction. HCAs can also form in foods that are broiled, especially well-done red meat.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Here we are protected in so many ways, if you are using your water pan or sand pan correctly this is catching those nasty PAH causing fats and so we in the WSM world, are not ingesting them.

(HCAs) This is in high heat and extreme temperatures, well thank goodness we don't get up to high heat in WSM world.

So my take on it is it may be a problem for the rest of the bbq world but here in WSM world we are pretty safe.

First eggs were really bad, then they were OK, now they're really good again.

Then butter and oilve oil was bad and margarine good; now they're good again and margarine is bad.

Then soy was good, and lots of it! Now lots of it is bad.

How many people have food scientists, doctors, and nutritionists killed with these erroneous pronouncements changing peoples food habits?

Ignore bad behavior. Eat BBQ. Thank whomever-you-thank for each morning before checking on your WSM overnight cook.

It seems as if there are many "experts" out there that take great glee in telling others that something that they enjoy will kill them. The truth is spoken by them in the minority of their tales of woe. If you look at history in these cases the opinions of these experts seem to flip flop often. A few cases in point are eggs, butter and beef, not so long ago we were told with great urgency that they would bring on heart disease and kill us. Now the eggs are not really so bad for us and might even be good for us. Now the trans fats in margarine are the killers and butter might not be so bad after all. And red meat with the fats properly removed
are OK. Beef is still whats for dinner. Life is full of risks. As long as we are well informed we can manage our own risks on an individual basis. It will be a cold day in Hell before I will pre-cook meat in the microwave before I place it over the fire!

Everything in moderation. I think we all know the consequences of eating a high fat diet. Use common sense; too much of anything is not good for you. Easier said than done for many of us, but I think we are aware of the consequences.

Well, I've got some bad news, we're all going to die of something. Cancer, driver-talking-on-a-cellphone-itis, lack of breath, it's going to happen. As long as I don't end up in a home, unable to recognize family or friends and crapping my pants like a baby - I'm OK with it.

Well I take a little different look at these kinda things.

My dad died when he was 34 years old from cancer. I was 13 at the time. All I remember being told was that he got the cancer from operating a bulldozer. He never drank, smoked, always eat healthly from what I remember, I never even heard a cuss word from him.

So I take that as, when it's your time to go it's time to go one way or another. It may be a car wreck, heart attack, food poisoning, etc.

You can listen to the food experts and follow exactly what they say and still die in a car wreck tomorrow Now I am not saying that I don't listen to them, my point is I am going to eat what I want and do what I want and enjoy life everyday because I may not be here tomorrow.

I have some family that are so worried about all the bad things in life that they can't even enjoy life in general just because something is going to be bad for them, I just can't live that way.

As the old saying goes "to each his own".

Randy

Doesn't everything cause cancer, oh wait five years from something new will cause it then five years later that won't but something else will.
Just do what you like to do, eat what you want to eat, your going to die some day anyway might as well enjoy life while you have it.

Kevin

Something will take us all from this earth at some point in time. I prefer to enjoy the life I have here and now, concentrate on why God put me here in the first place. I love to eat, and smoking on my WSM is a very enjoyable hobby! I also can share with many others, all of whom rave about the results! SO, if I get cancer from it, then they will have to work overtime at the funeral parlor to wipe the smile from my face when they place me in the coffin!!!!!

For those that haven't seen it, Bryan S' signature pretty much says it all...

"when i die i'll donate my body to science too see how big my smoke ring is "

icon_biggrin.gif

Back