Do you sell?

Robert Shackelford

TVWBB Member
I used to smoke just enough for the wife and I, but now that co-workers and friends have discovered how good this stuff actually tastes, I get all sorts of offers from people trying to buy my leftovers.
These days, when I am due for a smoke, I just fill up the WSM as full as I can get it (usually pork shoulder) and sell the end product at a little more then 2x the cost of the meat. Nothing has ever gone unclaimed so far.
Am curious if anyone else does something similar. If so, what is your charge?
This question is obviously for the non-pros although I would be interested in what the gurus charge as well.

Hi Rob

Real friends get gifts
icon_biggrin.gif
. Everybody else who's trying to get gifts (Buddy o'l pal) pays $10lb for cooked product.

Seeuu
Jeff

I have been getting offers to supply as well.

Haven't done anything yet. Don't know if I really want to.

$10 per lb for pulled pork? People pay that much?

I've been selling to friends, family, co-workers, sales people at the Penzey's Spice shop, Williams Sonoma, actually all I do is strick up a conversation about BBQ and the next thing I know they order some. It's really a lot of fun !!!!

I sell my sauce for $6.00/pt or $10.00 qt. pulled pork for $8.50 lb brisket is $10.00 lb. I also do pastrami, salmon, turkey parts, pulled beef etc.

I keep a freezer stocked with all varieties of BBQ meats that have been put in Foodsaver bags. I deliver the stuff frozen and everyone loves the food and the convenience of getting "real" BBQ by just dropping the bags into boiling water for 20 mins.

Nothing better than a hobby that makes people happy and makes you money.

Al

I've thought about this often, and have had friends/neighbors ask. Even have one that asked me to create a menu, because her workplace tends to order lunches for the employees on Fridays. In my "real" job, I'm off Fridays...hmmm...maybe I should consider this more seriously.

I haven't got up to Al's level yet but plan on it someday. I usually cook 4 at a time and keep one or 2 and sell the rest.I also freeze it in 1Lb bags. I just wish i could find a decent less expensive foodsaver type bag or roll to use.
Yes they will pay $10lb for pulled pork.I let them add there own sauce.The local bbq joints get 8+ for there product and mine is better.

Seeeuuu
Jeff

Hey Joe

if you can get a steady enough follwing going you can make enough to pay for your hobby or upgrade to a bigger unit as time goes along and let htem pay for it.People are looking for good q nowadays and are willing to pay for it.
Wrigth now I'm saving up for a stumps so i can cook larger batches and also get a frezzer like Al so i can cook larger quantitys. Who nows mayb eit will become a new tax free retirement fund
icon_eek.gif

Seeeuuu
Jeff

$10.00lb? Wow, have I ever been selling myself short. My average price is around $3.00 lb.
Gotta make sure the wife doesn't find out otherwise she's going to rip into me for denying her a new pair of shoes.

Lets say someone eats your brisket, gets sick, has to go to the hospital...and then sues you. How do you protect yourself from a lawsuit? I can't seem to get past the fact that for a couple of $1000 of revenue, I may put my assets at risk...

I'm not advocating for or against. There is always the chance of a problem: the cook might not have a good enough understanding of food-borne illness prevention and make mistakes--especially after the meats are cooked, a not uncommon issue with barbecue; the cook might have a good understanding of the critical safety points but become lax due to being rushed, distracted, bored, or by taking ill-conceived shortcuts because of adopting an 'it's-never-happened-to-me-before' attitude; or the cook's food is perfectly safe but the customer either abuses it, creating a problem, or consumes some other food that is contaminated, on or around the time the cook's food was eaten, that causes the cook's perfectly fine food to become suspect.

Can't do much about the last possibility but one can certainly do a lot about the first two.

The same food safety issues apply whether you cook for just yourself, cook professionally in a restaurant, or cook and sell food under the table. A good understanding of food safety is not difficult at all. It's obviously more than the cavalier attitude one sometimes sees on the Net and TV. And it is more than simply knowing what 'the danger zone' is. And it is definitely more than 'when it doubt throw it out'--which is an attitude, not an understanding. It might be a fine attitude when a problem or question instantiates, but the problem I often see is that for those who've adopted this 'strategy'--well, they go no further--that's the sum of their approach. My concern with this is that without an understanding of the critical safety points they don't doubt what they should be doubting in the first place. Avoidance--which is what this attitude is--does not replace knowledge, especially when the avoider makes no effort to understand what in his food prep, oooking and post-cook handling really needs to be avoided.

Foods that are cooked in advance to be reheated later or cooked foods that are further handled after cooking--like PP, of course, and many others--must be cooled relatively quickly, as I'm sure all here realize. Warm or hot foods should not be packed thickly into containers or bags and stuck in the fridge or freezer. (I mention this every chance I get because I do not see it mentioned nearly enough on food boards; it's important, and should be mentioned any time anyone posts advice for another, if germane, so that the knowledge of all reading the thread is increased by at least this point.)

Just FYI, this thread and this post cover a fair amount of ground on the subject.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by J Rector:
I haven't got up to Al's level yet but plan on it someday. I usually cook 4 at a time and keep one or 2 and sell the rest.I also freeze it in 1Lb bags. I just wish i could find a decent less expensive foodsaver type bag or roll to use.
Yes they will pay $10lb for pulled pork.I let them add there own sauce.The local bbq joints get 8+ for there product and mine is better.

Seeeuuu
Jeff </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've used these generic bags a couple of times with good success. As you'll see from the site, the larger quantity ordered offers more savings.

http://totalvac.com/accessory/parts/6X10.html

i dont sell but I have the person provide the meat and buy a bag of charcoal. I dont mind and like the extra practice.

Back