How Should I have Saved My Ribs?

Stone

TVWBB Super Fan
I put three racks on the lower grate at 7:30 on Saturday morning. It was cold outside -- in the 50s. The temp at the top vent was about 220ish. I had three chix on top grate. At 1:30, the natives were restless so I pulled everything off. The chix were great. The ribs were cooked and tasted good, but were not close to falling off the bone.

Should I have foiled them and perhaps put them in a 350* oven? I was concerned that they would dry out if cooked too hot

Did you have water in the pan?

I use a clay pot liner with no water (foil over the clay). I did 4 racks on the upper grate, and 250 at the grate, and I cooked them for about 5 hours. The meat pulled off pretty easily. Since the top of the lid is hotter, I would say you didn't have the smoker hot enough.

I notice a big difference between 225 and 250. If you keep it at 225, it takes forever to finish after it reaches the plateau. That btw is a good time to kick it up to about 260-275, IMO.

But with ribs I don't probe the meat, just cook until they pass the tear test, you should be able to tear the bones apart.

Temp 220º at the top vent made the lower grate temp barely above 200º. As Alan said they will take forever at that low of a temp. You need to shoot for at least 250º-260º lid vent temp.

I was concerned that they would dry out if cooked too hot

'Drying out' comes from overcooking--which can happen at any temp.

I cook back ribs at 325-350, spares usually at 275-300 but have cooked them higher than that. Not saying you have to cook at those temps--just pointing out that higher temps does not mean dry meat.

Originally posted by Stone:
I put three racks on the lower grate at 7:30 on Saturday morning. It was cold outside -- in the 50s. The temp at the top vent was about 220ish. I had three chix on top grate. At 1:30, the natives were restless so I pulled everything off. The chix were great. The ribs were cooked and tasted good, but were not close to falling off the bone.

Should I have foiled them and perhaps put them in a 350* oven? I was concerned that they would dry out if cooked too hot

Yeah, they were underdone sounds like to me. Foiling at 350 until you could send a toothpick or a probe of some sort (like a metal skewer) without resistance or just a little would tell you when they were done, and would have finished them pretty quickly.

Originally posted by K Kruger:
'Drying out' comes from overcooking--which can happen at any temp.

I cook back ribs at 325-350, spares usually at 275-300 but have cooked them higher than that. Not saying you have to cook at those temps--just pointing out that higher temps does not mean dry meat.
I tried this once, I overcooked everything. I have a tendency to check a million times ... until it's time to check. for some reason I block it out when I'm supposed to be checking. yeah i know, stupid, but that's what I do

so it's low and slow for me, so if I'm watching football or playing some video games, it gives me a wider margin of error

Spares take anywhere from 6 to 8 hours at 225*. Your cook went six hours at a lower temp. They were definately undercooked.

One other word of caution - cross-contamination. Poultry should always be placed BELOW other meats. When raw poultry cooks and drips on other meats you run the risk of contaminating (salminella, etc.) the meat below the poultry.

I would have put the ribs over the birds simply to baste them in pork fat drippings.

In addition to using higher temps Stone if you want your ribs FOTB try foiling them with 1/4C of liquid (juice or whatever) for an hour or so. Do this after the ribs have developed a nice dark color on the outside and the meat at the bone ends has at least started pulling back.

This is a common misconception. Placing poultry above other meats during cooking does not automatically mean there is a safety concern; there is no concern as long as safe temps are reached.

How do I say this ... we should still avoid starting uncooked meat x on the top rack after the point in time where it won't be cooked before we remove meat y from the bottom rack where x and y are any meat. Correct?

Originally posted by Shawn W:
This is a common misconception. Placing poultry above other meats during cooking does not automatically mean there is a safety concern; there is no concern as long as safe temps are reached.

How do I say this ... we should still avoid starting uncooked meat x on the top rack after the point in time where it won't be cooked before we remove meat y from the bottom rack where x and y are any meat. Correct?

Correct or not, that's what I would do. Especially with fowl.

I've seen Jamie Oliver do a show where he used one BBQ marinade for 3 different pieces of meat. One fowl, one pork, and one lamb. He put all of them together while marinating. Then he only cooked the lamb to medium rare!

Lawyers in the US would prevent such a show from being produced, but apparently not in the UK.

Ken-- You and anyone else can do whatever you want. But the notion that poultry must be below for safety reasons is a myth, one especially common in Q circles. Repetition of a fallacy does not make it true. Poultry must be assumed to be contaminated but it is science-based reasoning and logic that will provide answers to questions like these; unfortunate that these traits often get replaced by unfounded fears and squeemishness where poultry is concerned. How many times have I heard some insist that 'better' safety is achieved by cooking chicken under another meat yet prep their chicken by washing it or temp for safety using an analog therm, both far more potentially dangerous than cooking chicken over another meat.

Shawn-- Kill temps are lower than typical cooktemps and kill is instantaneous starting in the 160s so the likelihood of drippings coming off the poultry, passing through the air, and landing on the surface of the meat below without being pasteurized is hghly unlikely. However, one could probably make a case for some sort of cut-off point. Support for the position is thin in all but the lowest of low/slow scenarios but a case a could be made, especially with other odd variables--say, the meat going on top was pulled from the fridge cold, the lid rekeased the heat so that ambient temps in the cooker plunged, the lower meat was removed rather quickly after the upper was put on, and so forth.

Illnesses caused by Salmonella and Campylobacter (the two biggies, poultry-wise) are rarely caused by undercooked chicken as most people tend to overcook chicken (fear of 'red around the bone'--another myth!--might be at play here sometimes). Instead they are most often caused by cross contamination that occurs prior to cooking: washing poultry in the sink, reusing the cutting board or plate the raw chicken was prepped on, handling other foods or utensils, or touching other surfaces after hasndling the chicken, etc.

Joe-- The chefs and the 'chefs' on the Food Network can be pretty clueless if not, perhaps, as egregious.

Shawn,
You're killing me. I didn't know I'd have to dig out my 52 year old algebra text book. One reason I don't mix meats.
In the pinch, however, I'd go with Kevin's scientific explanation. I was much better in science anyway

Originally posted by Dave/G:

Shawn,
You're killing me. I didn't know I'd have to dig out my 52 year old algebra text book. One reason I don't mix meats.
In the pinch, however, I'd go with Kevin's scientific explanation. I was much better in science anyway
lol, ok I'll try to avoid expressing cooking concepts in algebraic form ... when it drips on some people it makes them go rancid ...

Back