Brisket is next

G

Where can I buy briskets at? I checked my local Costco and supermarket, but no dice.

Thanks!

I'll ask the butchers what they have in the back next time I'm there.

How's the Walmart brisket? Is it decent after it's cooked?

Thanks!

It depends on the city where you live.

You might not be asking this question if you lived in Texas.

Russell

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Russell Y:
It depends on the city where you live.

You might not be asking this question if you lived in Texas.

Russell </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I found your other post and it states you are in San Francisco.

Andrew -
Costco only sells flats. you can get them whole and untrimmed, but you have to ask the meat guys for the ones in cryovac. Also, they've raised their prices substantially. I can now get brisket - whole ones at that (point and flat) - cheaper at my specialty butcher than I can at Costco. Go figure...

I have been purchasing my Briskets from Smart and Final, USDA Select grade. They have been pretty darn good. Two weeks ago they were $1.55 per lbs.

I get my Pork Butts from Costco.

I'm going to go to Costco and ask the butcher to see if they have it and how much it costs. I went to Alberston's yesterday and the assistant butcher? told me that they carry it sometimes, but you have to ask the butcher for it. The price is like $5.00\lb also. Yikes!

I'm gonna check out Sam's club (35 miles away) and also Smart & Final. $1.55 works for me!

I have never seen a brisket at CostCo in the SF Bay Area. Smart 'n' Final has them, though they only carry Select grade beef, which I don't care for. I don't know where you live, but you can get Choice whole packers at Dittmer's in Mountain View. If you aren't near there, I'd suggest finding a local butcher shop. If you are anywhere near a Lunardi's, you could probably get one there, too, though they are very pricey.

Good luck!

Rich

PS: $5.00/lb is a price for TRIMMED brisket more than likely. That price factors in the labor. The Dittmer's price is $2.79/lb the last time I bought one.

So this is what I did. I went to Smart & Final and got a brisket which was about 11lbs @ $1.55/lb. I also got a pork picnic shoulder which was about 10lbs for 99 cents a pound. Gonna smoke'em this weekend.

I'm going to try Dittmer's next time for the brisket. I've been hearing good things about that place from this great forum. I'm also going to try Costco's pork butt next.

One more thing, I got some wood real cheap from Lazzari Fuel Company. http://www.lazzari.com/ I picked up two 1.7cu ft bags of apple and cherry wood for $8.95/bag. It comes in large plastic bags and weighs about 45lbs each for a total of about 90+/- pounds of wood! It comes in long chunks which are 14-16 inches so you're going to have to chop it yourself into smaller chunks. I don't mind...seeing that it's pretty cheap. I'm set!

Thanks everyone!

I forgot to mention that Lazzari's is in Brisbane, CA. It's next to San Franciso and only a few blocks away from the Cow Palace. Their hours are M-F 8-4:30pm It's crazy how much wood they got. Just drive in and you'll see what I mean. They have oak, mesquite, hickory, apple, cherry, walnut, and more...

Back