The Virtual Weber Bullet The Virtual Weber Bullet
TVWB Homepage TVWB Product Info TVWB Cooking Topics TVWB Opeating Tips & Mods TVWB Videos TVWB Resources TVWB Shopping
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Piedmont Water Pan

TVWBB Member
    I have through the years followed all of the good suggestions regarding water/drip pans for indirect cookers. Boiling the water then adding to the pan, add sand then cover with foil, and recently to crumple foil then cover with foil.

I came up with a new idea that I hadn't heard anyone speak of yet. I went out today and bought two new pans, stacked them together, held them tight with clamps, drilled 3 holes for no. 10 bolts, cut copper tubing to 3/4" as spacers, and wing nuts to hold it all together to make a double pan.

The bottom pan acts as a heat shield to the top pan, where you can add boiling water or nothing at all! If you do add water to the top pan, you drastically reduce evaporation.

You can see pics on my website, address below,

http://web.infoave.net/~amwil/discursion.htm#Drip%20Pan

You should be able to make one for yourself from the pictures and my description above!

TVWBB Emerald Member
    Mike

I like the idea of your double pan and would like to know the costs to order from you. I have a vacation home on lake Greenwood which is in the Piedmont region of SC. Are you close ?

Paul

TVWBB Member
    Hi Paul,

Just go to my website to find my email address, send me an email to go over details. I'm sure they prefer we not discuss in the forum.
    Thanks! Mike

http://web.infoave.net/~amwil/Index.htm

TVWBB Diamond Member
    Mike this looks like shear genious. I am impressed. The simple ideas are the best. Do you use weber water pans? When do you use water?
    Peach Kissed Q

TVWBB Member
    Originally posted by Steve Petrone:
    Mike this looks like shear genious. I am impressed. The simple ideas are the best. Do you use weber water pans? When do you use water?
    I get pans at the Bass Pro shop at Concord Mills all! Are you from Charlotte? If so, your upwind of me! Down here in Lancaster.

I haven't used water for a while now as I had been using sand in my water pan. The trial I did the other day when I cooked spare ribs for 5 hours with a dry double pan and the grease never burned! It just collected in the upper pan, so, I will probably never use water again.

Note: My cooker is a weber kettle (19.5") which I added a spacer to make it work like a WSM. I cut down and split a 55 gallon drum to fit over the bottom kettle and set the lid of the kettle on top. I also made a metal ring to go around the charcoal grid. I'm having too much fun!

I put 4 grids in there, more, for tiny or thin stuff like wings or spares. I'll be posting pics of it this weekend along with new pics and directions for doing spare ribs/rib tips.

TVWBB Emerald Member
    Mike

You've really got some interesting concepts and I hope you'll follow with some posts and pics to show us your set up and how it works. Wish you'd get a WSM, but sounds like you'd rather build one ! Well guys like you make up for guys like me who would rather buy "the floor model that's already assembled" .

I'm really impressed with the grease not burning in the double waterpan, even without water. I'm going to send you an e-mail about getting a set from you. Lately our Academy Sports has not been carrying the spare Brinkman pan.

Paul

TVWBB Fan
    looks interesting. has anyone used the lower grate with this double pan? it seems to me the top pan may impede the lower grate from seating properly.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    What would Willie do, when it's all gone wrong
    The answer's in the words of a sad country song
    When you don't know how to get through,
    You better ask yourself, "What would W

TVWBB Emerald Member
    Brian

That is a good point. He doesn't use a WSM. I haven't order one from Mike or built one myself. It looks like the space between the lips of the 2 pans would be sufficient to hold the pans and the lower cooking grate would fit in its usual place ?

Paul

I was thinking about trying to construct one this weekend using the two pans I have. I was going to use 3/4" rod coupling nuts as spacers, since I don't have any copper tubing laying around. When I, too, thought the two pans may not fit. I figured I would just grind/cut down the spacers appropriately. I just need to determine what the actual length needs to be.

I went ahead and assembled the double water pan using the 3/4" rod coupling nuts. The result was the assembly was a touch to high. I ended up using my bench grinder to shorten the nuts by 1/8" or so. Right now, the height looks good. The final length was 0.6". Now, I just have to try out the unit. I am planning on putting on a couple of butts tonight. I'm just not sure if I want to try a waterless cook yet.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast