If they didn't make the WSM, what would you buy?

DavidD

TVWBB Super Fan
Max price of $1000 or so. I know this is much more than the price of the WSM, but just to offer folks room to pick their favorites. I'm sure you can spend a lot more, but i talking about general household/family type smokers, not very large competition or commercial units.

What would you get for your backyard?

Either a ceramic or SmokinTex. My brother-in-law has the SmokinTex and it's a really nice plug-in smoker. Set it and forget it.

I would buy a Primo Junior, hands down. It's a fantastic grill and smoker combined and you use very very little fuel. A 20lb bag of lump will last me well over a month and I cook alot! Plus I don't have to clean the ashes out but MAYBE every 5 or 6 cooks and it takes less than a minute to scrap what ash there is to clean.

Hmmm???
Well, each one in my signature was under $1000 when I bought it.

If I had to pick just one, and at a current price of $1000, I'd try the Stump's Tailgater. Temperature control is about the same as a WSM, you still have the option of the water pan, and it's great to take to parties.

BOB

Yea, I'm with Milt. I would get me a Big Drum Smoker. Infact, I have been tempted to get one anyway-just to use along side my WSM.

I would have to do some research before making a final decision but it would probably be either a BDS or a ceramic, with building my own BDS clone being a possibility.

nothin, i'm pry try to make somethin myself, and that would not be good, and then I would never bbq anymore...and then be sad. -Dan

ProBBQ Excel and Primo Jr. versus the weber WSM and Performer
icon_wink.gif
Pretty sure that would still get me close enough to $1k.

Probably a Primo (since I know Larry's have good luck with them
icon_biggrin.gif
), and I'd also probably build myself a BDS or a clone thereof, just for the fun of it.

Originally posted by Dudley Rose:

What do you see as the advantages of the SpiceWine over the Backwwods?

I am still doing my research but the SW stands out for me because of Capacity, Construction and Price. The BW smokers are a close second but not entirely ruled out. However, for me its looking pretty good for the SW. I wish I could give you a more scientific report but I can't right now.

i would just buy a 55gal drum and a couple of 22 1/2 cooking grates and build a smoker. They work very well though not as cool looking as the wsm. I've tried them many years ago and they can hold temp for hours on end if built correctly.

Back