coshell coconut charcoal

George Curtis

TVWBB Olympian
i just used this stuff again saturday. i was very very pleased again how it burned. today i cleaned out my sj and there was little ash with at least 1/2 of the briq left and they are still hard and not crumbly. i really recommend this stuff ! sold through truvalue stores.
http://coshellcharcoal.com/

here's my coshell charcoal review

I'm actually quite amazed by this stuff. It burns hotter than the lump I use without stoking.

Actually... sometimes it burns TOO hot - which introduces new challenges to grilling.

My grocer still has it in stock. I'm wondering if i should buy it all.

very nice writeup ! although i'm not sure i found them to burn that hot but hey, what do i know ?
icon_wink.gif
yes, i think they are that good.

not really. but its neutral enough that my wife who is allergic to just about everything now insists that when i grill/cook for her i use this charcoal. gotta stock up.

George.
How much a bag at Tru-value?
I saw these a few weeks ago at my local market but I didn't see a price listed.
I see Troy (nice review BTW) has them at Woodmans for about 9 bucks.

Tim

Just picked up a small load today - five 9lb bags. I'm hoping one bag will fill the ring. That would be great - kinda like those single serve coffee packs. I probably won't get to be able to cook until next weekend but I will let everyone know how this works. I hope it works as good as the kamado extruded charcoal I bought years ago (still have a few boxes
icon_cool.gif
).

If not, this is the primo stuff now. It's amazing you have some of the 2003 left! Let me know if you need any help using it up.
icon_wink.gif

KK CoCo

Hi George,
I went to my local TV on Monday and ordered a bag. I picked it up on Friday. It was $5.99 for 9# bag. I haven't tried yet & wouldn't have w/o your post; thanks. I'll post my review once tested, thanks again!

This sounds like good stuff. I appreciate Troy's review.

However, just speaking for myself, I can't see me switching from Kingsford any time soon. When I can buy it on sale for forty lbs at less than $9.00 there is not much incentive to change.

I have been pretty happy with Kingsford. In fact, my only complaint with Kingsford is the ash left. I can deal with that when I consider the price difference.

FWIW, I ALWAYS reuse my charcoal. As long as it is big enough to not fall through the grates, I re-use until it turns to ash. I just knock off the ash, and top off my next chimney full with the partially burned Kingsford. I suspect most here do the same.

Dale53

no one is telling you what to use or not use. i hate kingsford but its not my business if you like it. i use the coshell stuff mostly for grilling. probably to $$$$$ for smoking. but at least try it so you know what you speak of.

Originally posted by george curtis:
no one is telling you what to use or not use. i hate kingsford but its not my business if you like it. i use the coshell stuff mostly for grilling. probably to $$$$$ for smoking. but at least try it so you know what you speak of.
I have to disagree George, good coconut charcoal is excellent for long cooks. I just read where a person went 86 hours on a load of KK coconut charcoal in a ceramic. I bet you could get some long hours in a WSM as well. I would just grill with something else. I'm not picky as to what I grill with. I have been using blue K bought on sale, but prefer Stubbs. Coconut should be cheaper in the long run if it lasts longer.

could be. i just don't need/want to use it that much. mostly for small indirect cooking and grilling especially meats that the wife will eat. she says its the first time she has no problems with the coal cooked food. she has bad allergies. i'll let those that like to smoke longer to let me know how it goes.

i agree with shaun here.

I think coshell could REALLY rock in a cooker that can maintain those temps.

If i ever get my smoker sealed up, i'll do a comparison with K and coshell to see which lasts longer.

Troy, where are you buying your charcoal? I'm less than an hour from Rockford and would like to try some. Thanks!

Brad

I buy from woodmans in rockford.

There's also a woodmans in janesville i believe. They probably have it too.

please don't buy all of it
icon_smile.gif

i'm using this stuff religiously now.

Just a new little spin to consider - If you have a Truvalue hardware near you, you can always order Coshell through them and get delivery at the store you ordered from shipped free. They make regular runs from their warehouses. Here in the Northwest I just bought six 9 lb. bags for $4.99 a bag. I find that Coshell is a little harder to get burning but have to agree that it seems to burn hotter, less smoke in the start up and produces less ash. I'm very happy with it. Try it. Bob

Is this the same as Charcos Coconut charcoal?

Someone posted a Naked Whiz link and is touting it on the Pacific Northwest Big Green Egg forum trying to get a pallet of the stuff. Supposedly I'm going to get a sample - we'll see! If I do I'll most likely do a BGE test cook and report.

Back