? on brine cure part 2...

Paul K

TVWBB Guru
I'm going to use DQ curing salt (Prague #1 powder) in a brine solution for loin and butt. The label states use "24lbs per 100 gallons of brine mix for 10% pump."

I"m thinking 2 gallons max to cover my loin and butt. That equates to just under 1/2 lb (.48)of powder for 2 gal of water, correct? "Pump"...what is pump? The brined meat?

I've been reading about dry rub amounts and recipes, but will go with a brine on this. The volume of water affects the amount of powder used and I want to be sure I'm in the proper zone.

Most of the posts deal with Tender Quick, so I'm not sure.

Paul

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Paul K:
I'm going to use DQ curing salt (Prague #1 powder) in a brine solution for loin and butt. The label states use "24lbs per 100 gallons of brine mix for 10% pump."

I"m thinking 2 gallons max to cover my loin and butt. That equates to just under 1/2 lb (.48)of powder for 2 gal of water, correct? "Pump"...what is pump? The brined meat?

I've been reading about dry rub amounts and recipes, but will go with a brine on this. The volume of water affects the amount of powder used and I want to be sure I'm in the proper zone.

Most of the posts deal with Tender Quick, so I'm not sure.

Paul </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yep, I get the same .48 for 2 gals or .24 per gal of water. The pump means injecting with the brine pickle solution at the ratio of 10% of the weight of the meat being pumped/injected. i.e. if the loin is 5 lbs. you would inject it with a 1/2 lb of brine/pickle.

I only use a concentration that high if I am cold smoking and/or looking for preservation. Usually I am seeking neither so don't go that high.

Is there a minimum ratio of powder to water that will still provide a cure? I'm still not sure if water plays into the equation or not. I don't want to go overboard with the nitrite, but I do want a cure.

Curing salt, despite its name, is not the primary factor in terms of actual curing, salt is. Salt is the key variable.

What are you wanting to cure, how do you plan on cooking it (what temps, how long, to what point), how do you plan to serve, what do you plan for leftovers?

Answers to these inform your curing decisions.

I'll be curing 6.5 lbs of butt and 4.25 lbs of pork loin. The intent was to make some Canadian bacon from the loin and a cured bacon-like product from the butt. I will be cooking these further so (pan fry prior to serving), I will smoke to about 140 internal with smoker temps around 200-220. Duration?-until they hit about 140 internal. The meat will be used for breakfast, sammies, etc. No specific meal is planned around this. This is just an experiment. There's not a lot of meat, so I plan to brine all of it at once (if appropriate) for about 4 days...or should I go longer?

Thanks

Okay, good.

I'm going to stress again that curing has more to do with salt concentration than anything. You can cure with no nitrate/nitrite whatsoever but you cannot cure without salt.

Curing salt is used more for distinctive color and flavor in the types of items you are doing and in the method you plan on using to smoke and the way you plan on using the meats, more than any other reason. Though it does extend shelf life by slowing spoilage and fat rancidification, cured meats of this type (the type that will be smoked then cooked again for serving--bacon also falls into this category--or the type that will be cooked completely then served hot, or will be cooked completely then chilled and, say, sliced for sandwich meat--turkey, turkey breast, possibly pork loin or fresh ham can fall into this category as well) do not require the same level of curing salt because botulism, frankly, isn't a concern, both because it is rare in these instances but, more importantly, because the food will either be cooked again at high temps or will be chilled quickly after cooking and will be maintained cold. (Note that this does not hold true if one is cold smoking, although C. bot is unlikely in or on otherwise unadulterated meat.) For sausage (adulterated meat) and meats being cured to dramatically extend shelf life or for shelf stability, a higher concentration of curing salt is used (especially for sausage), and/or a higher concentration of salt (especially for hams).

(The other thing that aids in shelf stability, bacteriostasis or bacteria kill--lack of water activity, i.e., dryness, as one employs for jerky and some sausages--is another technique that I'm not getting into here.)

Imo, a key element (other than the curing issue) is salt, and here I am speaking of flavor. Insufficient salt, especially in a curing brine, often makes the food taste more like it was brined in a 'regular' brine, i.e., it is not quite salty enough. One need not go over-the-top of course, but I find it easiest and, to me, get better results if I use a somewhat substantial amount of salt in the brine and then soak the item in cold water after curing (and rinsing) to remove some of the excess salt--a common post-curing technique with a number of foods.

For sausages and the base for dry cure mixes I am anal and measure amounts of everything by weight precisely. For brine cures I don't so much. I use 2.25-4.24 T pink salt/gallon of water (the range depends on what I am doing but, at just over 2 oz, even the high amount is much lower than recipes based on amounts like those in the OP. For salt, I use a pound; sugar, either none or up to a pound, depending on the finish I am looking for.

Does this make sense?

4 days is likely sufficient for both though this depends on temps and thickeness. You can go longer (and will need to) if your temps are on the cold side, that long or a bit shorter if you plan to inject.

Yes, that makes perfect sense. I appreciate the info. I have a basic curing brine started, but will need to bump up the salt per your suggestion. I had never considered going up to a pound in a gallon of water. After brining, I'll sample, per an old post, and fry a small amount in a skillet to test the level of salt and then soak/rinse more if necessary.

Good stuff, thanks Kevin.

Paul

Use a bit less if you prefer. Definitely test in the skillet. I use a bit less if injecting and a bit less than that for poultry as its structure is more porous.

Planning to rinse the meat tonight and dry it out. Smoking tomorrow if all goes well...can't wait to sample...

Back