25lb Chuck Roll with Pics.

shawn244

TVWBB Fan
I made this chuck roll about a week ago. I was planning on cooking it on the WSM but I had the opprutunity to try out a cooker that was loned to me. Everyone loved the meat and many even perferred it over pulled pork! I keep the temps between 205-235 and it took about 22.5 hours to finish. I foiled it at 160 degrees and once it hit 195 degrees I put it in a warm cooler for 4 hours. Thanks to Kruger and Adam for the advice! This is a must try for everyone! I detailed the cook here.

http://www.peoriacustomcookers.com/new/recipes/chuckroll.html

The Peoria Cooker was great. It burns fuel a little faster then the WSM but it was a really great unit to cook on. Holds temps rock solid for the most part like the WSM. If you click on the Backyard Cooker link on the right side of the page that is the unit I used. You can fit a lot of meat on there! I actually cooked that Chuck Roll for a party at the Owner of Peoria Custom Cookers house. I was a little nervous brining it over but everyone absouletly loved it.

Looks very good. Never done one, but thinking about it now. One question though, I heard that a chuck roll has more grease in it than a butt, you found otherwise to be the case?

Wow....looks awesome.
I have been eyeing the chuck rolls at the local Smart & Final. They mark down their meat products by 25% when the expiration date is a week away so I'll pick some up towards the end of the month and try this out. Should be able to pick one up for approx. $1.25 lb or there abouts. Not sure if this is good or not, but it seems reasonable.
Love the looks of the bear claws...am ordering some right away. Thanks for the tip.

Bill,
I thought before I shredded it that it would be very greasy and fatty but it really was not that bad at all. A few people mentioned to me that they thought it was less greasy then a butt. It was very very moist but just not to fatty. No real globs of fat left inside it must have all cooked off.

Would it be ok to cook this on the top rack with pork butts below it? Any contamination issues there?

Since you have to foil it, I wouldn't want to put it on the bottom and have to move a rack with 2 butts on it. To much opportunity for disaster.

There really aren't any cross contamination issues with one meat over another--even poultry--so long as the cooker's temp is adequate and the meats are cooked to a sufficient temp. So, butts under chuck no problem.

Back