Pulled Pork Temp problem

Rob

TVWBB Fan
I made two butts, about 8 lbs each. Started cooking at 4 pm yesterday. When I went to bed last night, the temps were 180 and 170 in the meats. The fire was at about 240. This morning when I woke at 7, the fire was down to 180, but the meats were down to 150????
What should I do?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rob:
I made two butts, about 8 lbs each. Started cooking at 4 pm yesterday. When I went to bed last night, the temps were 180 and 170 in the meats. The fire was at about 240. This morning when I woke at 7, the fire was down to 180, but the meats were down to 150????
What should I do? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You don't want to do much more with them because you don't know how hot they initially got. But if they were at 180 & 170 last night, they were done at some point through the night and your pit temp dropped which caused the meat temp to drop.

I'd pull them off the cooker and pull the meat now. They're still at a safe temperature, but I would cool quickly after pulling.

How is the tenderness is it falling apart or is the bone ready to come out if so they might be ready. Seems like a long cook. If they don't appear tender you could crank up the fire and cook until 190-195. You could foil and put in the oven at 350 until they hit 190-195. I have pulled butts before they hit 190-195 when pulling and they have been fine If sliceing them 160-165.

i don't have enough experience to help you, i'm afraid. on the 2 butts i've done i've noticed the temp dropping even when the wsm is still 250-ish but then it comes back. while 15 hours should be enough time to cook an 8 pounder if the wsm temp is only 180 then obviously the butts ain't getting to 190. put some more charcoal in carefully, open the vents and get her back up to 250 or so.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I'd pull them off the cooker and pull the meat now. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Agreed.

Presumably they're tender..? Feel the meat and find out.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I'd pull them off the cooker and pull the meat now. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Agreed.

Presumably they're tender..? Feel the meat and find out. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well if they butts were at 180 & 170 last night (that means before midnight to me), that's 7 hours in the cooker. Even if the temperature dropped to 180* at midnight and spent the next 7 hours at that pit temp, they're done, period. The residual heat alone would be enough to finish if they were already at 180-170*.

If by some odd chance the butts were not done, you'd still be better off chopping the pork than to attempt to cook further at that point for fear of drying the meat out.

That's just the way I would do it personally.

I have a nice smoke ring, if it wasn't done then it would be pink inside? I'm actually going to zap it in the microwave later today for our tailgate to get it warm with the BBQ sauce. Right now it taste really good with a nice bark. I just don't want to poison anyone at our Phillies tailgate
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rob:
I have a nice smoke ring, if it wasn't done then it would be pink inside? I'm actually going to zap it in the microwave later today for our tailgate to get it warm with the BBQ sauce. Right now it taste really good with a nice bark. I just don't want to poison anyone at our Phillies tailgate
icon_smile.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's 'done' meaning it's safe to eat by the temps you posted earlier. Were you able to pull the meat?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">and spent the next 7 hours at that pit temp, they're done, period. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Most likely, yes, they are. My effort here is to suggest the need to get in there and feel the meat. The meat's temp is immaterial if 'done' is the concern--it's whether the meat got tender or not. It easily could have hit tender and never have gotten into the 190s.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">and spent the next 7 hours at that pit temp, they're done, period. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Most likely, yes, they are. My effort here is to suggest the need to get in there and feel the meat. The meat's temp is immaterial if 'done' is the concern--it's whether the meat got tender or not. It easily could have hit tender and never have gotten into the 190s. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, I agree......that was my point for a lack of better wording.

To avoid food safety problems: Cool it fairly quickly. Don't pack it warm into containers and fridge, especially don't pack deeply.

it's pulled and tender... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nice work Rob!!! Now your buddies at the tailgate will love you and want you to cook all the time!!!!
icon_biggrin.gif

Actually I let it cool down after pulling, put it into a large bowl, and put it in the fridge... Got to get the special sauce ready

To avoid food safety problems: Cool it fairly quickly. Don't pack it warm into containers and fridge, especially don't pack deeply. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rob, It's been eating at me all day and I just have to ask you. I mean no harm here, so I hope you are not offended. But with the butts at 170 & 180 what was your thinking on going to bed? I'm thinking you have to be thankful that it did run out of fuel or you could of had butt jerky.
icon_eek.gif
Sorry I just had to ask.
icon_redface.gif

Back