Kettle jerky

So on smoke day(don't own a WSM so I used the kettle) I made some sweet and spicy jerky. I used the same technique I used the other day.
Coals in the ash catcher. Nine unlit and one lit coal to start off with. Used Kingsford hickory briquettes plus a couple of hickory chips. Took an hour to come up to 150°. For beef, a 1.8lb London broil was used. It was partially frozen and cut into 1/4 strips. It was placed into a Sweet and spicy marinade
overnight as posted by Van G. Once out of the marinade it was left to dry out a bit on trays. Onto the grill.

DSC00688.jpg

After 2 hours.

DSC00689.jpg

Bought a new thermometer for this cook. The coals in the ashtray stuck at 150° the whole smoke. Every hour I would remove the ash tray and add 5-6 coals.

DSC00690.jpg

This is after 7 hours. It came out nice. Really spicy too. I doubt it will last the day Sunday.

DSC00692.jpg

Very interesting process to put the fuel in the ash catcher. From the looks of your results this is something for me to remember and try sometime.

Mike

Great lookin jerky, please send a package to Canada care of Me, I will put it through a vigerous and totally scientific set of tests and return a verdict... it's only fair
icon_wink.gif

Wow, that is awesome technique. I'm guessing you added unlit coals to the ash catcher? How did you have the top and bottom vents positioned?

Boy, talk about thinking "outside the box" - this looks dynamite to do "cool" smoking ("Cold Smoking" below 100 degrees, eh-h-h?). That is a technique I'll put in my memory bank...

Thanks for sharing this innovative technique.

Dale53

Back