smoking at 6000 feet?

Hunter Lewis

TVWBB Member
Hey guys, odd question. I live in denver at nearly 6000 feet. I have had my WSM for almost a year, and always use kingsford charcoal. Every smoke i use the minion method to fire my smoker. It seems like every time i smoke, i have a difficult time keeping my temp up. I almost always have to leave the vents 100% open, and usually have to place a small lfan next to one of the vents as a billows. Does anyone else have this problem? what else can i do to eliminate thte need for the fan?

Hunter

Well we don't live at 6000, but we are a little above 5,000. I also have to leave the vents open wider than the usual settings, but, some time ago, I had a problem with temp and ash build up.

Jim Minion suggested a 50/50 mixture of lump and Kinsford and about a half dozen or so of lump for startup. I have been doing this and have been pleased with the results.

I still have to leave the vents a little more open than the norm, but I am gradually learning and will eventually get it right....tom

Hunter
Try the suggestion I gave Tom or another thing if your not using lump start with more burning coals.
I cook at sea level most of the time but in competitions around the country that does change so I make changes on the amount of fuel I have going at the beginning to compensate for the lack of oxygen.
You will be able to get it down with some experimentation.
Jim

Smoking at 7300ft. I hear you Hunter. I live in Evergreen and it takes abit more effort to keep temps up. I agree with the other threads. I use a few more hot coals for the Minion Method when I use it for slow cooks and I keep vents more open than most recipes suggest.

2003%20big%20chillweb.jpg

Lake Tahoe 6223' in a snow storm (Jim was cooking on Primos)

You can use straight Kingsford at high altitude just not with the Minion method. I just throw in lit weber chimneys full of Kingsford and run wide open.

The reduced amount of Oxygen per cubic foot means less heat and a lower boiling point. The good thing is the Kingsford burns slower.

Back