Cutting Board Rehab (long)

Dean C.

TVWBB Fan
Bear with me on this, I have to tell a quick story in order to get to the question I need answered. When I was a kid, my parents had this old dishwasher with a huge wooden top that we pushed from one end of the kitchen to the other. When it finally went into the crapper, dad removed the top and sent the dishwasher to the dump (or the side of a gravel road). Anyway, 20 years later, he presented me with the top, which would make a fine cutting board. I would love to use this for my cue as it is huge and has a ring around the edges to catch grease. The only problem I see is that it needs to be sanded plus the crevices where the boards are glued together are starting to expand and I worry about this catching and holding bacteria, etc. It their anyway I can treat or seal this after it is sanded to alleviate this problem. I'm sorry this post is so long, any help is greatly appreciated. I can post pictures if someone can show me how. Thanks.

I haven't thought of that kind of dishwasher in years--we had one too. And you pulled the intake hose out of a hole in the back and attached it to the faucet?

Anyway, sure-- was the board well, dry it well, then sand the board (there are some that would disagree but sanding is fine, imo). If you have actual gaps they will need to be filled with a food-safe wood filler. If the gaps are minor I wouldn't worry about it, frankly. Seal/finish the board with mineral oil or a beeswax-oil combo. I have used this for years and recommend it.

The big deal with wood cutting board is to wash them well and dry them well. Bacteria do not like dry conditions and you don't want a board to sit wet anyway. Hot soapy water and a plastic scrubby thing. I also keep two spray bottles handy, one with hydrogen peroxide and the other with apple cider vinegar. Spray on one and then the other (doesn't matter in what order), allow to sit for a few moments, scrub if needed, wipe off, dry. Cheap and effective and food safe, and a convenient way to clean if the board is a large one.

Thanks Kevin, and yes, you attached it to the faucet and one ran into the sink for the drain. I'm sure it was the cats behind when they bought it. Acutally some of the gaps are extravagant, can you recommend a food safe wood filler?

Had the exact same dishwasher growing up - I can't count the number of times I was soaked after turning on the water only to find out that I had not attached the hose securely to the faucet.
icon_smile.gif

Anyway, Kevin's advice is spot-on for repair, sealing, and day-to-day cleaning of the board - you should follow it for any cutting board that you own. You can probably use whatever wood filler you want, as after curing they are all pretty neutral. However, you can make your own wood filler with sawdust and Elmer's glue, which is non-toxic in the first place.

Bryan

LOL, we had the same dishwasher too. IIRC ours was a olive/avocado colored. Got a faceful of water more than once when I didn't have that quick-release hose properly attached to the kitchen faucet. I remember that big-azz wooden cutting board on the top, too. Good luck with getting it in shape and thanks for the 30+ year memory.

I don't know if I'd use filler between the boards. My neighbor re-did my maple cutting board by forcing glue - Elmers, I think - into the cracks using a recycled syringe and applying four bar clamps around the edge. He let it dry for two or three days then ran it thru his plainer - joiner? -taking a few fractions of an inch off both sides. A liberal application of mineral oil when finished and I swear it was brand new.

BTW, the dishwasher to which you all refer is called a portable dishwasher. We've had one for close to ten years. They're great if you live in an old house and don't have the $$$ for a complete kitchen tear-out.

Alan
"Vegetables aren't food. Vegetables are what food eats".

Thanks for all the comments, I didn't know if anyone would remember the boards on the top or if you thought I was crazy when I posted it. I decided agains the filler and just finished sanding. I gave it good scrubbing and rubbed it down with mineral oil. Looks great, I am very pleased. Thanks again for all the comments and thanks to those who knew what I was talking about 25 to 30 years later.

Originally posted by Dean C.:
Thanks for all the comments, I didn't know if anyone would remember the boards on the top or if you thought I was crazy when I posted it. I decided agains the filler and just finished sanding. I gave it good scrubbing and rubbed it down with mineral oil. Looks great, I am very pleased. Thanks again for all the comments and thanks to those who knew what I was talking about 25 to 30 years later.

Dean,

Please post some pictures - before and after if you've got them. My folks had one of those dishwashers, too. It was in service until very recently.

Jim

On the topic of Cutting Boards, I've wanted a decent size cutting board forever. One day on another forum someone posted a site where they made custom sized cutting boards out of any hardwood you could name almost.

Well I ordered one - maple, 2' x 3' x 1.5". I'm here to tell you this is one fantastic cutting board. They shipped the board along with some mineral oil and beeswax to be applied after it won't absorb any more of the mineral oil.

Anyway, if anyone is interested, the site is http://www.blocktop.net.
I'm not associated with them in anyway, just passing along the info in case someone needs a real cutting board.

Jim, I would be more than happy to but I can't figure it out. I would be more than happy to e-amil a picture or two to someone if they could post them for me. I didn't take any before pictures though, i should have. If you don't wan't to put your address on here, send it to me at the following:
idoque@yahoo.com

Nice job Dean & thanks for posting the images Bill.

That really brings back memories, especially of how loud those beasts were when running.

Jim

Thanks Bill for posting the pics. There are still some gaps that worry me, I think I am going to try the wood filler on some of the more drastic ones.

Back