Safe cooking temps for a ready-to-cook ham?

Ryan Gardner

TVWBB Fan
Everywhere I have seen has said 325 for an uncooked ham. This would be ok with me normally, but I have a 9.9 lb ham that I really need to take about 5.5 hours to cook, not the 3 hours it would take at 325.

I figured I would put it on the smoker, set the stoker up for 260 and then head out, and when I get back 3 hours later kick the temp up a bit so it hits my target temp of 160 close to when I want it to.

I know in modern pork trichinosis is pretty much gone, and and bacteria that would grow in it as I cook it at the lower temp should be destroyed when it is sitting above 150...

The only concern I really have now is about drying it out too much? Or perhaps I should be concerned about the bacteria growth in the cured-but-not-precooked ham?

Thoughts?

There is little to be concerned with in terms of bacteria growth, which tend to be a surface issue. Even were the ham to have been pierced all over when it was (if it was) injected with solution, internal temps will get high enough for long enough to provide a kill step.

'Drying out' comes from overcooking. This can arise from cooking to too high an internal temp or from cooking too slowly relative to to the like moisture/fat content of the meat in question and its likely loss.

(Trichinae are killed by a few minutes at 137; instantly at 144.)

You can likely cook as you plan. The only thing I would suggest is not to take the ham to 160. If you bump the temp when you get back I'd suggest going no higher than 147-150. The internal will rise a bit during resting and you will be more likely to have a moister result than if you take the ham to 160.

(Beautiful in Utah today! I'm in Murray, briefly.)

Back