Anyone ever regret the 22.5?

Adam Hostetler

I'm going to be getting a WSM.. the question is which? I'm not concerned about the difference in upfront cost, nor really the difference in fuel use unless it's HUGE. I'm more concerned if there are any other drawbacks? Is the bigger unit harder to maintain a temeperature if you only have a little bit of food in it for isntance? Anything else?
Has anyone bought the 22.5 and wished they had bought the smaller one? If so, why?

I bought a 22.5" straight out of the gate and I'm so glad I did! The smokers are built the same way so maintaining the temp is the same and with this type of smoker, it's easy!

Another reason I'm thrilled to have the bigger one is cooking space. I have seen several people that have bought the 18.5" and love it but wish they just spent the extra to get the bigger one for the extra cooking space. Some have them did some mods to add another cooking grate but if you're like me, I'm not good at that stuff so I'm glad to have the bigger one to begin with!

Lastly, welcome to the board Adam!

I have both and wouldn't trade with either! They both operate the same. The big boy uses a bit more fuel but will hold WAY MORE food!

I currently cook on a 22.5 Performer. Never had a problem with small cooks - just used less charcoal and snuffed the fire afterwards and reused the coals. I'm pulling the trigger on the 22.5 WSM tomorrow and can't wait! Will be using the same principles for fuel as with my performer. I'd much rather have the option of being able to do a large cook than not!
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Not owning a WSM yet though, but having a 22" OTP feels rather cramped at times even when cooking for two people, taking into account indirect cooking and lots of vegetables and side dishes.

Originally posted by anders:
Not owning a WSM yet though, but having a 22" OTP feels rather cramped at times even when cooking for two people, taking into account indirect cooking and lots of vegetables and side dishes.

You need a WSM anders! It's a 22.5 but the set up the coals are on the bottom and you have two FULL 22.5 grates to cook on. It's wonderful!

But as far as the cooking space on a regular 22.5, check this link.

Dont know if this helps or not but something else to think about is if you buy it on Amazon you can find the 22 priced around $350 a lot of the times and I occasionally see the 18 marked down to $275 but that is not that often so even at that price you can get the much bigger for only $75 more

I have no regrets about mine. Granted, I seldom fill it to capacity while cooking, but it is nice to have the option.

I just pulled the trigger on a 22" (have had a couple 18s before), so I will be cooking for the first time on the 22 this weekend. Also, got the 22" for $236 shipped to my house with applying for an Amazon Credit Card. See the thread under trading post and link through this website. The 22" seems a lot bigger than the 18"!!!

AimToFind.Com has some of the best prices....Barbecue Smokers.
2 Item(s)
Show 12 24 36 per page .
Sort By Position Name Price .
Weber 18.5 Inch Smokey Mountain Cooker - PN # 721001 - 2011 Model! + BONUS! Comes with a FREE Weber Cover!!
Regular Price: $349.00

Special Price: $249.99

Add to Cart

Weber 22.5 Inch Smokey Mountain Cooker - PN # 731001 - 2011 Model!
Regular Price: $499.00

Special Price: $343.83

Add to Cart

I bought mine there and it arrived prompty and ready to cook. I think you cannot beat their price, even on Amazon.com. Great smoker, and I wish I had gone the 22 incher as I've bough some spare ribs that barely would fit on the 18 1/2. Keep the vent closed down on top, to about 1/4 open, and it will not use much fuel. My 18 1/2 did 20 hours and plenty of fuel left.

Go smoke em' tiger.

The 18.5's are much easier on the fuel and great for overnighters. Done a couple cooks with a 22.5 and its been about 8-9 hours and then you have to reload. Thats just my experiences though and Ive only been apart of a couple cooks on one.

I actually prefer the 22 over the 18. The 22 seesm to be more stable in temperature. I think it is due to it simply being a bigger thermal mass. Yes, it does use up more fuel but it's not anything alarming.

Russ

I do not regret my 22", but at the same time I love having both to choose from. If I had to pick one to buy, it would be the 22" for capacity and for the room when cooking chicken & ribs.

Adam, one thng to consider. Once you get notcied you may get a request to do a bigger bbq cook.

I have a men's group of 50-60 in June.
Baby shower for same amount or more in July.
Non-profit for a little more in Aug.

It helps to have that 22 for larger groups, otherwise for most peolpe the 18 is fine. If the 22 was avaialable when I bought mine and knowing what I know now I would have bought 22.

Btw, I have a Ranch Kettle to help with larger cooks as well.

John

Originally posted by George David:
AimToFind.Com has some of the best prices....Barbecue Smokers.
2 Item(s)
Show 12 24 36 per page .
Sort By Position Name Price .
Weber 18.5 Inch Smokey Mountain Cooker - PN # 721001 - 2011 Model! + BONUS! Comes with a FREE Weber Cover!!
Regular Price: $349.00

Special Price: $249.99

Add to Cart

Weber 22.5 Inch Smokey Mountain Cooker - PN # 731001 - 2011 Model!
Regular Price: $499.00

Special Price: $343.83

Add to Cart

I bought mine there and it arrived prompty and ready to cook. I think you cannot beat their price, even on Amazon.com. Great smoker, and I wish I had gone the 22 incher as I've bough some spare ribs that barely would fit on the 18 1/2. Keep the vent closed down on top, to about 1/4 open, and it will not use much fuel. My 18 1/2 did 20 hours and plenty of fuel left.

Go smoke em' tiger.

True George they are slightly less but with amazon offering 20% off this month with their visa card and they give you money off your order for signing up for the card, you can't beat that! Members got a 22 WSM for $258, $246 and someone got one for $236!! Also, amazon will match those prices also so matching then those discounts...can't beat it!

^^^
With that discount the 18s are 170-180ish
Still a good deal if you are heart set on an 18. Total discount wise though the 22 is a better deal.

I just got a 22 and am really glad I did, if you cook with the water pan empty it really doesn't use much fuel especially compared to my old offset smoker, that thing took half a bag of coal just to get up to temp. Plus cooking briskets, pork loins, and full racks of ribs would be a little cramped on a smaller unit I think.

Anyone ever regret the 22.5?

Only briefly: when I had to PAY for it !...

And that regret faded away very quickly, two days later when it arrived, and I assembled it.
I have pretty much had a smile on my face about it ever since !... Sure it is bigger than I need 90 % of the time. But I like all that room, I dont want to coil up my racks of ribs, I want the room to do two or three butts, over a brisket, or two, and nothing looks crowded.
I never had an 18" WSM, so I cannot compare Charcoal usage, but my impression is, it is quite efficient for its size !.. Mine is very tight, especially with the Cajun Bandit door, temp control is phenomenal !... I have never even tried putting water in the pan, I have only foiled it, with a foiled clay saucer in it, works great for a heat sink, I can find nothing not to love about it.

Chuck, just a heads up. I've tried to get Amazon to match prices in the past, and then again tonight on a WSM.

They wouldn't budge. Said their prices were competitive and changed all of the time. I told whomever I was talking to that their prices weren't competitive, at least not on the WSM's.

Rep said he would forward my concerns to a supervisor. lol

So yeah, if you can get approved for a Amazon visa card, then it's a great deal, but if you can't then not so much so. jmo

Back