DANNY GAULDEN'S RIB GLAZE

Keri C

TVWBB Wizard
DANNY GAULDEN'S "New" RIB GLAZE - September, 1999

From http://www.dannysbbq.com/recipes.asp

1 cup brown sugar
1/4 - 1/3 cup mustard
1/4 - 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar (or beer)

1) Mix cold and bring to a simmer.
2) Let cool till ready to baste ribs.
3) If too thick, add more vinegar or beer.
4) Should be at least thick enough to coat a spoon.
5) Apply to ribs the very second they come off the pit.
6) Or put on a coat of glaze on about 2 minutes before removing ribs, then another as soon as they are off the pit.

From Danny Gaulden: "Try this for the rib glaze ... I made a couple of modifications to it.

EXPLANATION & PROCEDURE, Written By Danny Gaulden on 6-14-00

"I have read through the post on my glaze the past couple of weeks with quite a light heart, and had to laugh a few times also. Sometimes man can take basically easy-to-do things, and literally screw them up till the outcome barely resembles the original idea. AAHHH, the power of intelligence (ha). My original intention for my rib glaze was not to make a big gooey, wet rib; nor a super dry rib. If done correctly, the rib glaze will tend toward being more dry than wet. However, if one likes the glaze so much that they want to have the ribs dripping from it, far be me to tell them not to. Like one stated many years ago, the best BBQ I ever ate is what I'm eating at the moment. The reason I came up with the idea of putting a glaze on cooked ribs is the fact that I didn't like the dull look on them when they came off the pit and had set awhile. I wanted them to have a depth to them, an inviting, 'those look good!' appearance ... a presentation. Adding flavor was secondary, and still is, even though I like it. Here's how I do mine with my glaze, as I wrote many moons ago. The instant the ribs are pulled from the pit, have a brush and the glaze ready to go. Coat the ribs with a generous brushing of the glaze, just like you were painting them. It must be applied immediately. This will guarantee that the glaze will mostly burn off, not leaving too much of a flavor, but creating a beautiful deep burnt cherry red color. If you pull the ribs, chase the dog, talk to your buddy for a couple of minutes, then try and apply the glaze, you've waited too long. Time is of the essence. What you will get is a very suddle sweet and sour flavor addition which goes well with pork, (you don't want to change the flavor of you wonderfully smoked ribs very much ... just enough to make yours better than the rest), plus a much enhanced color change. That's what the glaze is all about. When done properly, I think it makes a good rib an even better rib. When done wrong, it can discredit your efforts. So that's the story. Go get' em, and I wish you the most success. -Danny"

Hasn't anyone tried or commented on this yet?

I'm shocked 😳

I haven't made it for a while so I just googled the recipe, and like so many other popular BBQ recipes, the first result led me here.

I'm using this tomorrow for a cater on 16 slabs of spares. You kids really need to try this one. It's different and you will be amazed how much you like it. 😎

Let us know how you make out!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have made this many times and it goes over real well. You really don't even need any BBQ sauce. I've made quite a few of Danny's recipes and they are quite good. His garlic coleslaw dressing is great.

First glaze I've made for ribs, and pleasantly surprised.

Is great the way it is for those who don't want a 'heavy' sauce.

Seems like a great base sauce to build upon, doctor up as you choose.

Back