BBQ Cart For OTG & WSM

Bob Miller

TVWBB Member
It's been a while but I've still been makin Q. My next project is something that I've wanted to do for quite some time and that's make a cart for my Webers. What started out as a simple cart evolved into something a bit more complex. I don't understand why Weber hasn't increased the height of the kettles to be the same as their gassers. ( I assume center of gravity) So my new design was to include a mounted OTG at bar height, storage cabinet, side burner/starter, kingsfor kaddy charcoal storage x2 and a 3 sided enclosure for the WSM.

I think I'm going to build this out of cedar and keep it to a simple construction.

Approx dimensions will be 8 foot by 30 inches.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">
Untitled by bobmiller1981, on Flickr </pre>
Questions:

Has anyone mounted a OTG via the handles and nothing else?

- I may add some additional bracing to the kettle support especially in the back, and I may add a shelf below with fire bricks so i have a place to put the chimney starter.

For the top I'd like to use cedar planks that are sealed to be water tight with a 18x18 stone inlay and the 12x12 side burner.

I shouldn't have to worry about heat since the OTG is open on 99% of it and the WSM is in a 24x24 3 sided box and shouldn't get that hot.

I'm a wrong in assuming that? Anything that I've overlooked? or advice?

If you are going to do a stone/tile top, why not use a piee of plywood topped with Hardy backer for the tile? Then you don't need to worry about heat where the OTG meets the top.

I mounted a OTG via the handles and nothing else.

IMG_3819.jpg

IMG_3806.jpg

IMG_3805.jpg

IMG_3803.jpg

Originally posted by Bob Miller:
It's been a while but I've still been makin Q. My next project is something that I've wanted to do for quite some time and that's make a cart for my Webers. What started out as a simple cart evolved into something a bit more complex. I don't understand why Weber hasn't increased the height of the kettles to be the same as their gassers. ( I assume center of gravity) So my new design was to include a mounted OTG at bar height, storage cabinet, side burner/starter, kingsfor kaddy charcoal storage x2 and a 3 sided enclosure for the WSM.

I think I'm going to build this out of cedar and keep it to a simple construction.

Approx dimensions will be 8 foot by 30 inches.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">
Untitled by bobmiller1981, on Flickr </pre>
Questions:

Has anyone mounted a OTG via the handles and nothing else?

- I may add some additional bracing to the kettle support especially in the back, and I may add a shelf below with fire bricks so i have a place to put the chimney starter.

For the top I'd like to use cedar planks that are sealed to be water tight with a 18x18 stone inlay and the 12x12 side burner.

I shouldn't have to worry about heat since the OTG is open on 99% of it and the WSM is in a 24x24 3 sided box and shouldn't get that hot.

I'm a wrong in assuming that? Anything that I've overlooked? or advice?

Lookin good, Bob. If Weber made the legs too long the legs would increase the size of the box the kettles ship in. So there is probably a happy medium between the material cost, cooking height, and shipping length of the Kettle legs.

Where are you located? The best solution imo would be to source a performer/ old platinum bowl on CL, which will vary in rarity depending where you live.

I wanted to revive this thread since I ended up building something but never got around to posting pics because I was too busy using my new BBQ bar. Nearly 6 months later I couldn't be happier. Come spring I need to add some trim work and possibly paint it, but its fully functional now. I keep 2 charcoal caddies lump/briquette. In the cabinet I keep my wood(ziplock and in a tupperware = no moisture issues) and the usual tools of the trade. I also had to add in a mounted bottle opener/ magnetic cap catcher. I've had no overheating issue w/ the smoker enclosed nor the grill. The local FD even gave it their stamp of approval....I must have a jealous neighbor.

I constructed the bar out of Pressure treated / T100 plywood and used natural slate tile for the top. The PT is not near the cooking surface nor does the temp of the handles exceed 200* so I'm not worried about combustion / emission of gasses from the wood.

End of day 1

Nearly complete- still need to tile & grout but I'm still cooking on it

Decided not to go weed burner or side burner as originally planned. I went with a $25 butane camp stove, internal ignition source and cheap fuel. Lights a full chimney with 5 min of flame and 10 min of wait time. Tile laid out but not set, that was the project for day 3

Since I built the OTG into the bar I had a pair of plastic handles laying around....1 inch aluminum flatstock, bench vice and a can of krylon

Lit Chimney for my first cook and my Pink Pig

I have my OTG just resting on the handles with no issues...not the cleanest shot but you get the idea ;)

P1010248.jpg

NIce build! :wsm:

Am I correct in thinking you don't have anything as far as a heat shield between the smoker and the side wall? Are the dimensions laid out basically how you have to original sketch? Where did you find the charcoal bins? Awesome build I have been wanting to do something very similar but was planning on using square tubing and stainless for the top because I was concerned about combustion. I also need to figure out how to hang my OTS because it only has one handle.

"The local FD even gave it their stamp of approval....I must have a jealous neighbor."

Did the FD really show up ?

Marty,

I got my kingsford charcoal bin at Home Depot. Around $15.

@ Marty, I used the same dimensions that are in the sketch. The charcoal bins are Kingsford logo but they look just like the dogfood bins at petsmart Matt mentioned. I did not use a heat shield, I have the WSM section covered in Slate tile & cement backer board. After a 4 hour smoke I can still touch the slate, its warm but not hot. On the outside of the bar the wood is warm but its also still cold here in NJ. I'm not worried about it catching. On the OTG side the handles are sitting on the wood, the handles get too hot to touch but aren't dense enough to transfer enough heat to the wood to get it to get too warm.

@ Josh, Between Christmas and early Jan my work schedule was slow and I decided to cook during the week. The first time the FD showed up I just had the chimney starter sitting on the camp stove, when I came out to fine 1 police officer and 3 firemen in my backyard. The cop wasn't amused. The second time was during the NCAA national championship afternoon I had 3 racks of ribs on the smoker and 2 fire trucks rolled up. From what I can guesstimate there is a small law office a few doors down, they are the only people that aren't around during the nights & weekends.

I've had some extremely smokey cooks and live in a densely packed neighborhood and have never had the FD or PD called. You must have some really jealous neighbors of your Q smell wafting into their houses and want to rain on your parade instead of doing what any good neighbor would do and just beg for some Q.

This is actually my first post on the TVWBB. I am somewhat of a newbie to charcoal grilling, but working on expanding my abilities.

I started to build a table for my 22.5". I now have the bottom ledge and wheels on it, but I don't have pictures of that yet. I will add them tomorrow. It has been sanded and ready to stain this week. Hopefully be able to install the Weber on it this weekend.

photostream

photostream

i'm of the opinion that the handles are not made to carry the weight of the kettle. i've seen folks make rings and such to support the kettle instead. you can also install short legs on the kettle and then install a small shelf to support the legs/kettle.

Last edited:

Back