Royal Oak Briquettes

Gary S

TVWBB Guru
Does anyone know the composition of R/O briquettes? They don't say 100% hardwood so I suspect they aren't. I'm curious if they the same or similar to KB?

Thanks

Gary, Royal Oak briquettes are NOT very similar to Kingsford -- more like Stubbs or Rancher, but I have to do more testing to actually compare those latter.

RO briqs don't smell like K and they don't produce ash like K and they are bigger than K and they seem to burn hotter than K (at least my lid therm got way hotter toward the end than I expected) and they seem to me to burn longer than K (on a briq by briq basis) . I've only done one 6 hour cook with RO briquettes, but a 3/4 18.5 ring only burned up about 1/2.

I'll post more as I use and test more.

Rich

Rich, thanks for your opinion. Neither Stubbs or Rancher are available to me so I really don't have anything to compare them to but I sure like R/O lump and it comes on sale often. I'm more of a purist and I like Maple Leaf Briquettes, they are 100 hardwood but do not burn as hot. I see R/O briquettes on sale from time to time so I think I will try them.

Does anyone know the composition of R/O briquettes? They don't say 100% hardwood so I suspect they aren't. I'm curious if they the same or similar to KB?

Thanks
I belveive our Canadian RO is different to that of the RO sold in the USofA.

Stefan, I just checked my bag of lump and it says Product of USA made in Georgia. I don't know what the R/O briquettes say.

I think the bags I've seen at Lowes and HomeHarware are different again. Yes I have seen the CTC bags

I bought 5 of the briqs that Stefan shared the link to. I bought them at Lowes about a month ago when they were on sale. I'm using them for a chuck roast/pork butt cook this weekend, so I'll let you know what I think of them next week

Great thanks. I am mainly using R/O lump for everything. I have a basket for the wsm and I pack it in pretty tight. Mostly I use the left overs for the kettle.

Here's what my bag and the only ones i've ever seen in Alberta & BC...

P1010260.jpg

P1010259.jpg

I find them to be an okay briquettes, they do burn cooler than BK and maybe a tad less ask. They do not hold up well if you like to reuse from a previous cook.

I have looked at R/O briquettes twice very closely, looking for them to say 100% hardwood or something to that effect in the description on the bags. That was why I posted initially believing if it does not say it then it isn't. I see those just say real wood.

The Maple Leaf Briquettes do not re-use well either. Probably the pure wood composition.

Last edited:
Rich, don't know where you've been getting your RO briqs but mine are significantly smaller. I use RO all the time on my long cooks with few problems except when I try to use old stuff from a previous cook along with new RO. Just can't seem to make it all the way through a long cook.Other than that RO is fine with me.

Paul, These are the new briquettes and I'm comparing them to Kingsford blue. There's another thread with more info and some pics timothy posted. Looks like the new RO briqs may be smaller than the old (I never have seen those). But his bag is the same as mine.

I just went out and did a side-by-side of new RO and Kingsford blue. They are virtually the same size looking top down (RO is more regular, K has a more ragged perimeter). But the RO briq is fatter (also reported by someone else in one of these threads) though because of the "ridge" the both have a thinner "waist". That's what I see.

Rich

Don't mean to upset anyone but the red bag royal oak is not 100% hardwood charcoal. The royal oak chef select is 100% hardwood charcoal and is advertised as such. I have called Royal Oak and asked them. Here is the picture you are looking for:

http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1780069052/m/1671089606

If you look up Meadow Creek Smokers, these dealers usually carry Chef Select by the pallet. You should be able to get a good price. I think the last time I bought some I paid $15.50 / 40 lb bag.

Jim, I didn't actually think that Royal Oak Premium is 100% hardwood charcoal. Not disappointed at all by your info and had seen that thread previously.

My questions still remain (not that I had asked them outright). What is the actually composition of Royal Oak Premium (and for that matter, Rancher/Trader Joe's --Stubbs says 95% hardwood charcoal and veggie binders, K is published)? How does their performance compare to the other most preferred briquettes? That latter question is highly subjective -- most commonly preferred. But to me it seems that based on posts here and elsewhere, it's determined by availability all over the country and relatively low cost. So for me, I've picked 4 brands to consider -- Kingsford Blue, new Royal Oak Premium, Stubbs and Rancher/Trader Joe's. Others like the Chef's Select, Kingsford Competition, various regional options, and some of the cheaper alternatives I've tried because they were "recommended", I'm choosing to ignore because they're more difficult to obtain, more expensive or I just don't give a d---. Not trying to argue, just stating my opinion.

I'll open a new thread soon to doc my results, but I'm going to do my own "subjective testing" based on what the briquettes looks like, how it they smells when burning, how long it lasts, how hot it gets, etc. Not going to consider the effect on food as I've tried all these and they are all "acceptable" to me, just not the same. That's what I call "subjective testing". I have a stock of three of these and my wife is picking up a bag from Trader Joe's today.

Anyone else can do something similar if you like, but I'm not planning to "test" any others as these are readily available to me and I'm already satisfied that all accept K will be in my stocks at various times. I'm just trying to see if it's worth narrowing it down further and to satisfy my curiosity. Why include K? Because so many use it and so many think it just fine regardless of any shortcomings -- and I still have some.

My thread title will be "Comparing Briquettes -- Kingsford, Stubbs, Royal Oak, Rancher/TJs". Give me a week or so to get to it -- I have other things to do also including possibly a trip to frigid Indiana. <brrr>

Rich

It's interesting to me how difficult it is to find out anything about the "new" Royal Oak Premium Briquettes. And maybe that in itself is not good. Everything I find is either here on TVWBB or is old (mostly 2009 or before). Assuming new is "new", then it would be good to have NEW information.

Stubbs and Rancher/TJs both claim to be 95% hardwood charcoal and 5% natural binders. Stubbs is $8.69 for 16.6 lbs., Rancher/TJs is $6.99 for 18 lbs. (both at regular price). Stubbs goes on sale at Lowes maybe twice a year for about $6. I don't got to TJs often enough to know if it goes on sale. RO briq prices seem to be normally over $6 for 16.6 lb., but I've haven't consistently found the same packaging and only want to consider the NEW Premium Briquettes pictured here: http://royal-oak.com/royal_oak-charcoal .

While looking I came across this comparison -- not RO, but it includes the two main Kingsford briquettes. Good info.
http://www.nakedwhiz.com/productreviews/kingsfordcompetition/kingsfordcompetition.htm

Edit PS: The Royal Oak website has their name as ROYAL OAK ENTERPRISES, LLC.
I also found this reference "More Details for Royal Oak Enterprises, LLC
Royal Oak Enterprises, LLC in Chamblee, GA is a private company categorized under Fuel Briquettes or Boulets: Made With Petroleum Binder." at this site: http://www.manta.com/c/mrprt2c/royal-oak-enterprises-llc .
So that says "petroleum binders".

Edit PPS: I have to say that regardless of how well it works, this last information pretty well puts me off. Notice that their website also show them as manufacturers of petroleum charcoal lighters. Frankly, most people won't care, but that's why I use a chimney lighter -- to avoid the petroleum products. That's one reason I don't want to use Kingsford -- petroleum products.

I've gone this far and will still do the comparisons, but these things do matter to me.

Rich

Last edited:
Rich, I've been using RO for a long time and I can't smell a petroleum aroma or for that matter even taste any aftertaste ??? Maybe I've burned too many of my taste buds out with all the hot sauce I've consumed over the years ;-)

Rich.
They do make a Match lite brand of Briquettes, so that could be the petro binder? If i were you I would send them an E-mail with these very same questions and see what they say.
Let us know what you find out.

Tim

I was looking for a quick way to contact them, but their website only offers a snail mail address. If you click on their "Email" icon, it opens your email with no address. No phone is provided either.

Their instructions say to allow briquets to completely ash over before putting meat on. That implies to me volatile chemical binders. Also, they do offer a briquet product "Royal Oak Ultra 100" which states that it is 100% hardwood. Again, the implication is that the others aren't -- but what they are we have no idea.

I did finally find a phone number for Royal Oak, but only this morning and only got a recording. I'll try again Monday.

Incidently, while searching, I found this from the California EPA. It identified two other "instant light" brands Royal Oak manufactures:

$22,000 in Fines Paid by Royal Oak Enterprises, LLC
This page finalized January 1, 2008

ROYAL OAK ENTERPRISES, LLC SETTLES FOR $ 22,000

On September 26, 2008, Royal Oak Enterprises, LLC settled two separate cases for $22,000 in lieu of litigation. Royal Oak Enterprises manufactured Sam’s Choice Professional Quality Instant Charcoal Briquettes products for the Wal-Mart Corporation and the Grill It Premium Odorless Charcoal Lighter product for the Target Corporation. None of the products were certified as a Charcoal Lighter material by ARB at the time of purchase and one product was not marked with a date of manufacture as required under the Consumer Products Regulation. In addition, the company failed to submit a date code explanation for the second product. The company has since applied for certification and has corrected the product dating violations.

Rich

Back