Your thoughts on the cooking methods for "no-spin" al Pastor

Michael Richards

TVWBB Emerald Member
I am going to make Al Pastor this weekend. The first time I did it I spun it on the Rotisserie and it was A LOT OF WORK! I am trying to spread that work out over three days and not use the spit.
Here is the meat I am going use: I have those three pork steaks below that I am going to slice thin, 1 lb of these pork belly steaks, and I am going to see if I need or want any of this pork belly I just got delivered.
IMG_20220528_102653582.jpg
I looked at a few different methods, to do al Pastor without a spit and what I have come to is that the best way is a double cook. First on the grill and then the next day sliced and into the CI skillet.
I was becoming more and more comfortable and convicted the way to go was into a loaf pan cooked until 180-190 ish, rested, refrigerated, next day slice, and crisp up in the CI skillet using this recipe as a guide to ingredients and method. A side note here, one of the reasons I really like this method is it closely lines up to how my Hispanic soccer players share that there families make al Pastor (first in the oven, then on the stove).
However, then @Brett-EDH went and said this: "I’d sear the marinated slices, then go indirect till 145° or so and then pull the pork, fridge it and then slice it next day and do the CI then for crisping. The lower pull temp off the grill will keep the pork juicy and that juice will render and concentrate in the CI", here and I am completely confused.

So what you guys think? How would would you do this cook. 275 ish with the meat in a tight pan or loose, seared and indirect using the SnS? To 180-190 or 145? Would you do something complete different? I am really open to any thoughts. I am going to marinate and prep tomorrow morning, but I am not going to cook until Sunday and then have them for dinner on Monday.
Thanks in advance as always and thanks Brett for stirring the confidence right out from under me!

Looking at Brett’s cooks and drooling all over my iPad, I think I’d trust his method. But, if you want to try the other one, I say “what the heck”! Michael, you have the sense to keep your eyes on it. It will be fine.

My temp recco comes from my char siu cooking. I pull the char siu chunks at 145°F and they’re SUPER juicy. As in SUPER!

I repurpose my cooked char siu into fusion burritos. Slice the char siu into thin strips and sear them off in a CI, add a little hoisin at the end so it doesn’t burn, then place the seared char siu into a burrito with seasoned rice, cilantro, minced green onions and some sambal sauce and hoisin spread across it all.

The pork is juicy and flavorful. My recco comes from if you hit 190° in the first cook, you don’t have a lot of ceiling leftover to crisp. You want the meat to render some pan juices, basically frying your al pastor in it’s own fat.

The choice is yours. I just share what I know with the hopes it’ll help others.

The worst thing to eat is dry and hard carnitas. You want that fat dripping in your tacos a bit. Or at least that’s how I like it.

Last edited:
This is my method

No matter how you end up cooking it, that recipe is the bomb
Chuck,
The ingredients, cooking temps, and cook time in Susie are similar to what I was thinking so that gives me more hope I am on the right path. It is that internal temps that has me still thinking.

Last edited:
Chuck,
The ingredients, cooking temps, and cook time in Susie are similar to what I was thinking so that gives me more hope I am on the right path. It is that internal temps that has me still thinking.
I prefer the more cooked thereby giving more crust. My most recent Al Pastor cook

My IT was 170, but I could see going to 175

here's a straight CI cook method. i'm assuming you want the smoke flavor from the grill, thus employing that mehtod?

I have to do this cook, probably sooner rather than later. I'm hungry right right though, so everything on here sounds like something I need to cook for dinner tonight.

I have to do this cook, probably sooner rather than later. I'm hungry right right though, so everything on here sounds like something I need to cook for dinner tonight.
Yes, yes it does all sound like a great dinner. I want al pastor, grilled frenched pork chops, and probably just about anything Brett is cooking!
What am I saying, ANYTHING he or Case are doing!

Here's the ingredients / recipe. It takes a day to marinade

Attachments

• Smoked Al Pastor - Hey Grill, Hey.pdf
    136.3 KB · Views: 7
I use Chucks method, I bought an inexpensive stand that has a tray under it...use pineapples ect.
Indirect on anything should work.....mine came out a bit chewy, not sure what I did wrong........I had a really fatty cut of pork....

I use Chucks method, I bought an inexpensive stand that has a tray under it...use pineapples ect.
Indirect on anything should work.....mine came out a bit chewy, not sure what I did wrong........I had a really fatty cut of pork....
I think you have to cut them real thin or they can be a bit chewy. After we cut the meat off the stand, we often fry the pieces in a really hot cast iron skillet. It crusts up the meat, so that it's like as if it came off a traditional Al Pastor stand

Hi Michael! I've done that recipe from Seriouseats.com that you posted, more than once. It's good for sure.

But Chuck's post is the way to go, imho. I've done that one, too, and it is really amazing

No matter what you choose, it will be good because of you and your skills (skillz?). Honestly, you will nail this no matter which recipe you choose. There's a moment during this cook where everything just makes sense, no matter what technique is used. You're going to kill it, man!

Back