Yikes...Genesis Gold flipper just noticed the hood liner is rusted through....what to do?

JimV

TVWBB All-Star
I picked up what looked like a no brainer flipper a week or so ago. I havent had much time to look at it but for $20 bucks I knew I couldnt lose. I ordered 16 gauge bars and new burners and new igniter for the old gal. Today I took a look under the hood and noticed the ss under hood liner had a crack all the way across :( ... I doubt this will affect how the grill cooks but it will for sure affect how much I can sell the thing for. I wish I had noticed the crack before I ordered the new parts. What do u guys do in this situation?????? I already cleaned the cook box......and after I noticed this hood liner crack I did wire wheel the liner cause it looked so bad.

Attachments

• 20200711_171217.jpg
    20200711_171217.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 46
  • 20200711_171235.jpg
    20200711_171235.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 47
  • 20200711_171247.jpg
    20200711_171247.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 48
Two solutions that I can think of.
1. Rip the liner out and drive on. Many people do, but the lid will tend to discolor if/when you get the grill good and hot. It is easily solved by scrubbing the hood. It will not affect performance of the grill.
2. Find a donor grill with a colored lid and swap lids. Any three burner grill lid from about 1985 to 2005 should fit that grill so they are not scarce.

Ah ha!!!!! you may have solved 2 of my problems with one shot!!!!! I have been scooping up some real stinkers lately......I now have a much better feel for what I like to work on but at the time I couldnt resist the stinkers. Example a Genesis Silver B with frame rusted beyond repair. But.....from what I think you are telling me I can use the black Silver B hood on this Gold and problem solved. I will use the silver B as a parts grill and happily toss the frame in the dumpster.....but not before I snag the wheels :)

If I go with plan A which was to rip the liner out....are you saying the outside of the stainless hood will discolor? I guess it will get that purple/brown look.......if so how would I remove that staining??? Steel wool?

Thanks Bruce!!!!!

Yep, you should be able to swap the Silver B hood over with no problem.

Yep, it will discolor on the outside and I wouldn't use steel wool, but rather a green scrubby. According to LMicheals, the steel wool will leave behind tiny particles in the stainless and eventually rust and stain the stainless steel. I have not experienced it myself, but I just use the green scrubby and some cleaner on stainless to be safe.

If it is just mildly discoloured you can try baking soda with water to make a paste or Bar Keepers Friend cleaner. If that doesn’t work then the more aggressive 3M scrubby is next. Remember whatever you use to rub only with the grain of the metal or you will leave noticeable cross marks. Also, try it in an inconspicuous place first in case it does leave scratches.

I would actually advise against a real 3M scrubby. They are way too coarse. Go with one of the cheap dollar store ones

Sorry, I thought the 3M was the one to use because it was more aggressive. The Bar Keepers Friend was what worked for me so did not have to go to the scrubby step. Me Bad! 🙁

Normally the 3M is very good but on something like stainless steel, it will scratch.

Back