Yield on bacon

tjkoko

TVWBB All-Star
I don't own a scale large enough to weigh pork bellies and the resulting bacon and I was wondering if any of you bacon produces have measured the yield, the before smoking and after smoking weights of the bellies . What's your yield?

I didn't weigh mine after. Before it was about 15.5 pounds. I would say I trimmed 2 pounds or so off. After smoking I did not notice any real shrinkage so I would say the only loss will be what you trim in the beginning and the little pieces you don't use during the trim. I vacuum sealed those together and will use for seasonings later.

I only weigh the meat after trimming to get the exact cure amounts. I don't weigh after that, but I haven't noticed any real significant loss. If there is any then I would expect it to be just water.

Russ

have you posted the pictures yet? If not, quit holding them back! EVERYONE here would like to see the ones you sent.

have you posted the pictures yet? If not, quit holding them back! EVERYONE here would like to see the ones you sent.

I would, however, they must be posted from some url rather than uploaded directly from my computer. And so unfortunately it's a no-go as I don't feel like dealing with photobucket. 8(

Back