Yield of Picnic vs. butt

Al Silverman

TVWBB Pro
Hi all,
Can someone who cooks picnics and butts please tell me if there is any difference in the final yield of edible meat from a picnic vs. a bone in butt and maybe a boneless butt as well.

I did a couple of boneless butts yesterday and got a 43% loss. The reason I'm asking is that I've started selling packages of pulled pork and sauce and am trying to figure the cheapest way to buy the pork and get the highest yield.

Thanks

Al

Al--

Industry averages of useable meat for butt and picnic are 85% and 75% respectively. Those are before-cooking figures but I find the same disparity (actually a bit greater) in after-cook yields. Whether or not butt's yield advantage translates into a better $/lb of cooked meat would depend on what you're paying for each.

Al, I did a 8.5 lb picnic the other day and was shocked at how little it yielded compared to a butt of the same weight. Granted picnics are cheaper but after removing the skin and the huge bone i'm thinking butts are a better deal for the money. No proof this is just my opinion.

Thanks guys for the quick responses. I'm thinking that Cosco boneless butts are the best bang for the buck.

Have a great Sunday

Al

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Al Silverman:
Thanks guys for the quick responses. I'm thinking that Cosco boneless butts are the best bang for the buck.

Have a great Sunday

Al </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Al,
I tried the Costco boneless butts one time and was not very happy with them plus you have to tie the butts up as well. That's why I switched to BJ's, they have bone in butts.

Al -- at home the Sam's Club is a about $0.15 cheaper per pound than the BJ's for BB. We buy both places because the BS's is closer.

Al - if you are using boneless - like those from Costco - your yield is obviously higher. I find picnics, with that big bone, actually have about a 50% yield. I can get picnics for about $.99/pound. The Costco ones are I get for about $2/ pound. So not much difference for me. If your prices are about the same, then I'/d just stick with which one offers you the best results and consistency.

Good luck.

Yes, if you're using boneless butts from Costco, I've gotten 53% to 57% yield - I'd plan on 50% to give yourself a little leeway.

With a picnic, you also have to think about the skin. Round here, picnics are usually sold with most of the skin on. Unless you like to make chicharrones or something like that, it's a waste of about 1lb. when you throw it away (or, feed it to the dog, as I usually do).

Back