Yesterdays Ribs

Les Stubby

TVWBB Fan
Was a beautiful day yesterday. 65 and sunny, and the Tarheels had won the night before. so I thought I'd celebrate with some spareribs.

I had foiled the last spares to be sure they were tender, but thought I'd try these without foil. I cooked them for about 5 hours at 225 to 250. and ran out of time, so put them in a low oven until dinner.

They were very good, but not quite as tender as I wanted. Is there a way to have almost fall off the bone tender ribs without foiling?

As always, thanks for your imput.

Les Stubby

Pics?

Down with those Heels!
icon_cool.gif
wsmsmile8gm.gif

probably need to cook longer at lower temps. but thats almost unrealistic. i cook mine around 250-275 for about 5-6 hours. they have a bit of a chew which is what i want. i suspect you need to foil to get what you want.

i dont use foil on my ribs they lay on the grate begining to end. i can tell they are ready when i can slide a bone out of an end with the meat coming off clean. the way i cook the last rib on each side of the rack hangs off the end ove the edge of the water pan and gets to the point where i like which means REALLY well done. the rest of the ribs come off the bone clean witha small tug.

the end ribs are mine the rest are whomever the wife and i have over for guests. i usually smoke my ribs, baby back pork, for 5-6 hours at 225ish. i use mustard salt pepper and a simple rib rub. i dont sauce or baste during the cooking and i do not use foil.

other folks have other methods there is no wrong way other than to burn or undercook em. thats just what i like and the wife likes so i stay with it.

Back