WSM Lid Hinge options

I use a slide-aside rather than a hinge, and yes, the offset weight of the lid does increase the risk that the barrel could tilt into the bowl with sufficient provocation. I was looking at a getting a latch of some kind to connect the barrel and bowl but that clip would be easier. I suppose any introduced sealing problem at the bottom of the door could be dealt with.

I have the unknown BBQ hinge and love it. It works really well. It’s not spring loaded so you need to lift it straight up before lowering it to close, but I got used to that very quickly. I don’t know anything about the Hunsaker. But any hinge is better than no hinge.

We use the Unknown BBQ hinge also, on our 22.5 WSM. No problems stability wise. Just follow the written instructions... ie, align the sections so that the hinge is inline above a leg.

Last edited:
Looks like the UnknownBBQ hinge doesn't open as much as the Hunsaker (which opens to near vertical). That puts more weight outboard of the centerline of the WSM and increases the 'tip-factor'. I have been using the lids handle to hang from the side of the lip of the middle section. That's about as off-center as you can get, and I haven't (yet) had issue.

I have unknown hinge on my kettle.....works great. Stainless rack and the hinge should be standard on them

Never put on wsm. Dont think i want one there either so far.

I use the unknown bbq hinge on my 22” wsm and really like it. Have considered getting one for the 18” wsm but have not pulled the trigger yet.

Got the unknown bbq one for both my kettle and 18 WSM. I love it, made things so much more convenient for me. Should be good with either hinge.

Installed the unknownbbq hinge on my 18 and love it. Installation was a breeze. The WSM isn't tippy at all. The one issue I see is the WSM could now benefit from a front handle on the dome like the 22's have. It's slightly awkward to reach over the hot dome to grab the handle, given where I have my WSM stationed. Thinking the replacement handle for the Jumbo Joe would work.. just have to find the right gloss black paint..

Looks like the UnknownBBQ hinge doesn't open as much as the Hunsaker (which opens to near vertical). That puts more weight outboard of the centerline of the WSM and increases the 'tip-factor'. I have been using the lids handle to hang from the side of the lip of the middle section. That's about as off-center as you can get, and I haven't (yet) had issue.
Michael,
Here’s my Unknown, in the open position on the over performer:
Well, having a Jethro moment will repost later

Yep.. that's how mine is. Just might be easier to open and close with a handle on the front of the dome like the 22 has..

Did the package arrive yet??

Yes, that’s fully open.
Mike, the package arrived Friday! I think I might try to get them on this week but, today is our 29th anniversary and I have a few projects to do to treat my wife to!

I had similar concerns about how far the lid opens, but in practice, it's fine. It doesn't go back far enough to tip the center of gravity towards the back and there is no concern of the WSM tipping over. There is plenty of room to work.. even with a chicken standing in beer-can-mode, there's no issue.

I did just order a replacement handle from a Jumbo Joe to mount on the front of the lid, similar to the 22's, so I don't have to reach over the hot lid.

Yes, that’s fully open.
Mike, the package arrived Friday! I think I might try to get them on this week but, today is our 29th anniversary and I have a few projects to do to treat my wife to!

Happy Anniversary! I was 28 years this past May!!

I had similar concerns about how far the lid opens, but in practice, it's fine. It doesn't go back far enough to tip the center of gravity towards the back and there is no concern of the WSM tipping over. There is plenty of room to work.. even with a chicken standing in beer-can-mode, there's no issue.

I did just order a replacement handle from a Jumbo Joe to mount on the front of the lid, similar to the 22's, so I don't have to reach over the hot lid.

Happy Anniversary! I was 28 years this past May!!
Well, ain’t that jes’ finer than frogs hair!

im actually throwing a third option out that i want to install, but i'm having difficulty with the drilling which isn't the hinges fault at all, its due to weber's porcelin. But the Chargriller Akorn hinge seems to be a solid option for us 18.5" folks. Its only $13 (about $23 after shipping) and then only needs about $6 in extra parts (nuts washers, locking washers). It's definitely a no frills hinge but it hits the sweet spot of my bank account not seeing 1/3rd of the cost of a weber go to a mod

I opted for the unknownbbq option so as to not reinvent the wheel.. plag and play is sometimes the best option.
What problem are you having with drilling?
If you put some painters tape over where you're drilling and start with VERY small bit.. 1/8" or so.. You should be good. The tape will prevent bit wander on the slick porcelain.

I opted for the unknownbbq option so as to not reinvent the wheel.. plag and play is sometimes the best option.
What problem are you having with drilling?
If you put some painters tape over where you're drilling and start with VERY small bit.. 1/8" or so.. You should be good. The tape will prevent bit wander on the slick porcelain.
Had a worn drill bit. I bought some new ones and it was easy as butter today

After living with the hood hinge for a few cooks, I decided to add a front mounted handle to the lid. Where I have the WSM positioned, it's difficult to access it from the side so lifting the lid means reaching over the hot grates. Added the lid handle from a Jumbo Joe which makes it so much easier. I opted to paint the handle and bracket (omitted the taco heat shield) a nice gloss black engine enamel that is a perfect match to the black porcelain. I also ordered a replacement handle for the lid since mine was a vintage-ish (1999) wood handle in perfect condition. Painted the replacement handle to match the new front handle and put the OE handle in storage. The nice weather got the best of me and I painted the charcoal door too... now I have a full blacked out look other than stainless hardware and daisy wheels.

The extra handle on the lid very much improves the lid/hinge operation. The rest was all cosmetic...

Back