WSM 22.5 water pan

Eric Michaud

TVWBB Super Fan
I may be biting the bullet and getting a 22.5. The first thing I did with my 18 was get a brinkman pan. Is the pan in the 22.5 too deep? Have any of you switched out the pan in the 22.5 and with what?

Thanks,
Eric

Eric, I think I read somewhere there was not a problem with the 22.5 pan, but don't take that to the bank. Ill be getting a 22.5 thurs/fri.. Ill let you know about the pan after I finish assembly.

Also the current water pan in the 18.5 is a little big and the bottom can hit the charcoal in the ring if you load it up for a long cook. The brinkman water pan has a flat bottom, thus giving you more room below it for charcoal.

I don't believe this is an issue with the 22.5

Rick was on point, the stock pan in the 18 is too deep. I use an empty pan with foil, on overnight smokes the stock pan would hit the lump. Thanks for the input.

The 22.5" model 731001 water pan holds 3 gal. There is no prob with it coming too close to the charcoal.

Last edited:
I've never had a problem with my 18.5 hitting the charcoals. Did they change the way they make them for the 2014 model or am I just not loading it up as much as others?

I've never had a problem with my 18.5 hitting the charcoals. Did they change the way they make them for the 2014 model or am I just not loading it up as much as others?

Ive never really had a problem. I have a brinkman pan but never have used it. Some people say the problem occurs if you really load it up for a really long cook. My longest cooks have only been butts so nothing really over 10 hours and just a regular basket of coal is enough. If you were gonna do a big brisket or several large butts and put a lot of goal is when I think the problem occurs.

Ive never really had a problem. I have a brinkman pan but never have used it. Some people say the problem occurs if you really load it up for a really long cook. My longest cooks have only been butts so nothing really over 10 hours and just a regular basket of coal is enough. If you were gonna do a big brisket or several large butts and put a lot of goal is when I think the problem occurs.
That's what I thought. I've done 12 hour cooks before without a problem, but I've never done a whole packer brisket in my 18.5.

Back