Wrapping in Tin Foil times

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

If a BBQ completes and you are done early, how long will a Butt (for example) last if wrapped in tin foil and placed in a cooler, so that when it is searved it still kind of seems like it just came off the WSM?

Also, would putting it in a stove heating at 100 degrees tend to continue cooking it. Or, is it any value to put the wrapped meat in a stove that is off (ie., not heating at all).

Are there any tricks (double wrapping, particular tin foil wraps that are better, combinations (wrap and towels, storage devices (styro foam, or plastic coolers) that are worth mentioning.

Finally, would other meats act differently when wrapped. It might be kind of neat if there were a little chart showing best case examples of wrapping meats and storing them until ready to searve.

So much info has been documented as to cooking the BBQ's, I am not so sure that a lot of centralized documentation exists about storing (prior to serving) the meats.

I know, I know, I am going to post this and then do a search on Tin foil and find reams of tips and charts on this subject.... /infopop/emoticons/icon_redface.gif
/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Hi Robert!

I have held a pork butt and a whole brisket for 4 hours and the temp stayed well above the 140? mark. I have heard of 6 hours also being acceptable.

With ribs and brisket flats, the hold time is much shorter...thinner meat. Have not really timed this one, but I would guess about 1/2 the time.

The thicker the cut of meat, the longer it will hold. This will work for any meat you cook...ham, beef roasts, etc.

Holding in an oven is fine as they are very well insulated, but they are also very large and the heat will dissipate rather quickly.

For holding, I wrap with heavy duty foil...Reynolds is the ONLY one I suggest....so much heavier than all the others. Then wrap in an old towel and place in the cooler. Styro is OK, but a regular cooler is much more efficient.

Some tricks when storing.......

Pre-heat the cooler by adding hot water and letting it sit for several minutes...then dump it out.

Once the meat has been placed in the cooler, fill in all the extra spaces with crumpled newspaper...this gets rid of all the air spaces...which are your enemy.

Place newspaper on the bottom of the cooler...this will prevent possible burning caused by the hot meat.

Good luck!

If you are finishing early one thing I would suggest that you pull of the cooker earlier than you may otherwise. If you wait until a butt reaches 200? internal to take it off and wrap then the quality will begin to drop as it continues to rise as it sit for the first hour or two. Pull off at 190 to 195? internal and you will find that the quality much higher.
Jim

Good stuff... thanks for the info... takes some of the stress out of trying to finish the BBQ right when the guests arrive!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back