Wrapping brisket and pork roast and using the juice

Daniel C

I pretty much always wrap my brisket and pork roast in heavy duty aluminum foil, both at around 160 degrees. I then cook them for several more hours until they reach about 195. I then will let them rest for at least an hour (after opening foil for some time to stop cooking) - my question is, should I dump out the juices (which is usually more than a cup at that point) before letting them rest? And if so, should I do something with the juices, like saving and then heating it later and serving with the meat? If so, do I strain out the fat in the juice? Please let me know what y'all think!

Daniel, just my personal opinion, but I would not dump the juices while resting. The resting phase is to let the meat re-distribute the juices; it helps keep meat more moist and improves the texture & tenderness of meat. I would only pour the juices out if you are trying maintain "a bark" on a particular meat. You can keep the juice from a brisket and use it to make an "Aus Jus" with it. I would just place the juice in a cup, and when it cools, just use a spoon to scape off the top layer of fat.

So you would keep the juice in while resting, and then after it's ready to be cut, pour the juices into a cup, etc.?

I always save the juices from pulled pork, use a fat separator, and use it with the pork when we serve it. We freeze left overs after vacuum sealing including the juices. When we reheat we add the juices.

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

I always save the juices from pulled pork, use a fat separator, and use it with the pork when we serve it. We freeze left overs after vacuum sealing including the juices. When we reheat we add the juices.

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Me too. I use the de-fatted liquid love as a finishing sauce, mix it in while pulling.

Tim

I strain the juices at pulling time. I put it in the freezer for the fat to coagulate and pull it off before reheating and straining. I add in some BBQ sauce and more rub and pour it over the pulled in a foil pan. After eating, I weight out 1# bags and vacuum seal it before putting them in the freezer. Re-heating is a simple boil in the bag...which retains all the juices.

Back