Wraping and resting when doing Chris Lily championship pork injection..

Tom Raveret

TVWBB Pro
Kroger (Pick n save up here) has pork shoulders on sale this week for .99/lb so I thought I'd consider trying something different. For years I have been using "a Butt Rub for Jane" with great results but my mind is open to ideas of something in the tradition of good pork BBQ so I'm thinking of trying the injection with 4 Butts.

The recipe says to rest it more than 30 minutes loosely covered with foil but most the butts I've done have benefited from being foil wrapped and put in a cooler or an oven on Warm for a couple of hours.

What have your experiences been and how would wrapping and holding change , enhance or detract form finished product ?

Thanks

I started using disposable aluminum steamer pans to catch the drippings and after a couple hours in the stall I tightly foil wrap the shoulder right in the pan.

When it reaches finish temp I'll open the foil and probe the whole shoulder. If done done, it gets wrapped again in the same foil and left in the pan and I wrap it all in towels an put in a styrofoam shipping cooler.

I’m planning on turning all 4 into pulled pork. In almost all other pulled pork recipes I’ve done the end Result was improved by a wrap and rest. I’m kind of curious why this one doesent ..perhaps to keep the bark intact... since 90% of the cook ends up in foodservice bags im not usually that concerned about that.

Last edited:
Tom,
I use an injection for every pork shoulder I cook that is going to e turned into pulled pork. I ALWAYS wrap and rest and I think that it absolutely benefit from that treatment. I have never used Chris Lily championship pork injection, but mine is similar. I would absolutely wrap and rest the way you always do. I think the loosely covered with foil for 30 mins is the shortest way and time to get a big piece of meat off the smoke and on to plates, but stick with your referred method. Here is my pulled pork from Father's Day that got the injection, smoke, tightly double wrap at 170 ish, pulled at probe tender, 200ish, and into the color and towels for more than a few hours. it was still steaming and extremely juicy and flavorful.

Tom,
I use an injection for every pork shoulder I cook that is going to e turned into pulled pork. I ALWAYS wrap and rest and I think that it absolutely benefit from that treatment. I have never used Chris Lily championship pork injection, but mine is similar. I would absolutely wrap and rest the way you always do. I think the loosely covered with foil for 30 mins is the shortest way and time to get a big piece of meat off the smoke and on to plates, but stick with your referred method. Here is my pulled pork from Father's Day that got the injection, smoke, tightly double wrap at 170ish, pulled at probe tender, 200ish, and into the color and towels for more than a few hours. it was still steaming and extremely juicy and flavorful.

I might change the title of the post to get more of what people like to use to inject pork with ... sounds like a great flavor step that ive never taken the time to do (been doing these shoulders over 20 years on WSM's)

What is your injection and preferred rub.

I use Chris Lily's inject and vary the rubs. I inject and apply rub the day before the cook and rest it in the fridge overnight for daylight cooks. For an overnight cook just inject and rub in the morning and put it on the smoker that night. I wrap in foil at the stall and wrap another layer of foil when it's probe tender. I shoot for a minimum of 2 hours rest after the cook. The foil catches the juices and they make a good finishing sauce.

I use Chris Lily's inject and vary the rubs. I inject and apply rub the day before the cook and rest it in the fridge overnight for daylight cooks. For an overnight cook just inject and rub in the morning and put it on the smoker that night. I wrap in foil at the stall and wrap another layer of foil when it's probe tender. I shoot for a minimum of 2 hours rest after the cook. The foil catches the juices and they make a good finishing sauce.
if you feel like sharing a couple of your rub recipes I'm open to trying something different!! otherwise ill likely make a simpler fversion of butt rub for Jane as I don't think I have everything

Here you go Tom.

Chris Lilly's Six-Time World Championship Pork Shoulder Rub

Makes 2 cups.
1/4 cup dark brown sugar

1/2 cup white sugar

1/2 cup paprika

1/3 cup garlic salt

1/3 cup kosher salt

1 Tablespoon chili powder

1 teaspoon oregano

1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

1 teaspoon ground cumin

1 teaspoon black pepper
Combine all ingredients and mix thoroughly.

Chris Lilly Pork Shoulder Injection

Makes 2 cups
3/4 cup apple juice

1/2 cup water

1/2 cup white sugar

1/4 cup table salt

2 Tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
Combine all ingredients and stir until sugar and salt are dissolved.

Harry Soo's Slap Yo Daddy All Purpose Rub.

SYD All Purpose Rub (makes about 1 cup)
4 tbsp Kosher Salt
2 tbsp White Granulated Sugar
2 tbsp Brown Sugar
2 tbsp California Mild Chili Powder
2 tbsp Paprika
1 tbsp Ground Cumin
1 tbsp Granulated Garlic

1 tbsp Black Pepper

I worry the meat may overcook if I bring to temp/feel and then tightly wrap for hours.
Sometimes I let it cool off a bit before the towels and cooler

Here you go Tom.

Chris Lilly's Six-Time World Championship Pork Shoulder Rub

Makes 2 cups.
1/4 cup dark brown sugar

1/2 cup white sugar

1/2 cup paprika

1/3 cup garlic salt

1/3 cup kosher salt

1 Tablespoon chili powder

1 teaspoon oregano

1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

1 teaspoon ground cumin

1 teaspoon black pepper
Combine all ingredients and mix thoroughly.

Chris Lilly Pork Shoulder Injection

Makes 2 cups
3/4 cup apple juice

1/2 cup water

1/2 cup white sugar

1/4 cup table salt

2 Tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
Combine all ingredients and stir until sugar and salt are dissolved.

Harry Soo's Slap Yo Daddy All Purpose Rub.

SYD All Purpose Rub (makes about 1 cup)
4 tbsp Kosher Salt
2 tbsp White Granulated Sugar
2 tbsp Brown Sugar
2 tbsp California Mild Chili Powder
2 tbsp Paprika
1 tbsp Ground Cumin
1 tbsp Granulated Garlic

1 tbsp Black Pepper
thank you very much!!

Tom, This is my go to for ribs and I've used it on other meats with good results. It's a no salt recipe and I can dry brine with the amount of salt I want, apply the rub, and not worry about oversalted . It's from Amazingribs.com.
Memphis Dust Recipe
Makes. About 3 cups. I typically use about 1 tablespoon per side of a slab of St. Louis cut ribs, and a bit less for baby backs. Store the extra in a zipper bag or a glass jar with a tight lid.
Takes. 15 minutes. 10 minutes to find everything and 5 minutes to dump them together.

Ingredients

3/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
3/4 cup white sugar
1/2 cup paprika
1/4 cup garlic powder

2 tablespoons ground black pepper
2 tablespoons ground ginger powder
2 tablespoons onion powder
2 teaspoons rosemary powder

Where's the salt? On 5/23/2014 I removed the salt from this recipe. Read why in my article on the
Science of Rubs.

Back