Working towards Monday Al Pastor

Michael Richards

TVWBB Emerald Member
Monday is my birthday, aka you're getting old dad, and after Carnitas last bday, this year I wanted to take my second go at Al Pastor. My first attempt was with my rotisserie. This time I wanted to try other option. So after researching and seeking the advice from you guys here I started prep tonight.
I am going to use this as my guide for the cook and I used a hybrid of these four 1 2 3 4, recipes for my marinade.
Here is the meat. Started with the pork shoulder steaks and cut as thin as possible then pounded them with a CI Skillet.
IMG_20220625_203048388.jpg

Next I worked with the pork belly steak.
IMG_20220625_203213385.jpg

Last I worked with a piece of pork belly. I ended up with this. Pork belly steak on the left, pork shoulder in the middle, and pork belly on the right.
IMG_20220625_204346153.jpg

After creating the marinade I mixed it up
IMG_20220625_210614792.jpg

And got it into two loaf pans.
IMG_20220625_211217094.jpg

Those are now wrapped and in the frig, after dinner tomorrow I will get them on the kettle and cook it at 275 until the meat is above 180 degrees. Then it will rest in the pan over night. Monday I will slice it as thin as possible and fry it up.

Yep, happy Birthday Michael. Looks like you've got a great start on your Al Pastor. Looking forward to seeing the end result.

Here is day two, Sunday:
Started by making some Salsa Verde.
Roasted.
IMG_20220626_112102856.jpg

Blended
IMG_20220626_120144415.jpg

Added a little water.
IMG_20220626_130114872.jpg

Next moved to the Al Pastor.
With some Cowboy Briquettes and pecan wood, onto the kettle the two loaf pans go.
IMG_20220626_164627759_HDR.jpg

At first check 2 hours in (after a good freakout)
IMG_20220626_175537384_HDR.jpg

Here is the reason for the freak out. After dinner I checked the temps, pit was perfect, but the meat was reading 210, WHAT?!?!, 210!!! I ran out and check the meat I broke up the loafs of meat a bit, I realized the meat is between 145 and 165, the fat and juices is reading at 210 which is what the prob was reading. So after figuring that out closed it back up and let it go for another hour. IMG_20220626_183811308_HDR.jpg

At the three hour mark it was ready to come off.
So I did just that, I took them off.
IMG_20220626_194833135.jpg

Pulling the probes out was equally upsetting to the structure of the loaves as my probing with the thermopen, but nothing that will harm the final product. It smells amazing and we totally look a piece (ok two) to try, it was excellent. Smoky, tender, sweet, and then a little spice hits you at the end. I am going to let them sit out and cool down and then back into the frig until tomorrow. Oh I can't wait.
Preview for tomorrow: blue corn homemade tortillas, roasted pineapple, and frying this amazing meat up. See you then😉.

Looking amazing. Any lime in your salsa verde? Nice roasting job. Leads to a sweet salsa. Thus if you want some balance, fresh lime juice will do it. Happy Birthday!

Looking amazing. Any lime in your salsa verde? Nice roasting job. Leads to a sweet salsa. Thus if you want some balance, fresh lime juice will do it. Happy Birthday!
Yep, start with all the roasted tomatolos, peppers after skins removed, onions, and some roasted and some raw garlic. Mix, add, cilantro, salt and mix again. Add some fresh lime juice mix. Start to taste test, add more salt, cilantro, garlic, and/or lime until my son approves. Let it cool even more and add a little water to thin.

I also did the pastor on the rotisserie and it was really good but Jesus I made a mess of my kitchen and backyard. I like this plan so far.

I also did the pastor on the rotisserie and it was really good but Jesus I made a mess of my kitchen and backyard.
I am right there with you my fist attempt was such a mess and so much work!!
I like this plan so far.
Me too! The mess and intensity of this version is turned way down. It is the three day planning and process part that makes it a "tougher" cook, but each of those days has been manageable so far. I am trying to hold off my opinions until after I fry in up to night and get to actually make a taco, but I am having high hopes at this time. The pieces we ate late night were super tender and flavorful. I really hope this process makes the meat super tender and then I can crisp them up in the CI tonight into taco gold!

Yes indeed! Happy birthday Michael! I want to see the plated shot if you remember it, I seem to forget that every time!
happy birthday Hoss!

Happy Birthday Michael!

He’d better remember it, we’ve been waiting for 3 days!! LOL! 🤣
Yes indeed! Happy birthday Michael! I want to see the plated shot if you remember it, I seem to forget that every time!
happy birthday Hoss!
It's official!! Happy birthday, @Michael Richards!! :)

R
Thanks guys! I will not forget that plates shot I promise!!! The only thing that worries me is the 2:15 meeting with just me and my boss and I am supposed to leave at 3…

I am seriously interested as well.......
Cant wait to see what you get at the end Michael.
I may try similar but refrain form cooking for 3 days if I could.

I am seriously interested as well.......
Cant wait to see what you get at the end Michael.
I may try similar but refrain form cooking for 3 days if I could.
I easily think you could get this prepped and marinating in the morning, after a few hours cook it, back in the frig for an hour or two sliced and fried up for dinner. I just have enjoyed the pace of a little each day verses an all day cook.
Or
Pepped and Marinated a day before and then cooked, frig, sliced, fried the same day and still be great.

I am starting to get excited, I really do think it is going to be super tender and crispy and flavorful...

Man if this is a fail, it will be an epic one!!!!😀😆😂🤣😢😭

I easily think you could get this prepped and marinating in the morning, after a few hours cook it, back in the frig for an hour or two sliced and fried up for dinner. I just have enjoyed the pace of a little each day verses an all day cook.
Or
Pepped and Marinated a day before and then cooked, frig, sliced, fried the same day and still be great.

I am starting to get excited, I really do think it is going to be super tender and crispy and flavorful...

Man if this is a fail, it will be an epic one!!!!😀😆😂🤣😢😭
i don't see how it can fail. you never overtemped and your marinade was spot on. and you used what looked like a high quality protein to start with. just don't burn it in the CI as you should be fine. too hot a CI and the sugars will scorch and quickly (think warming it through versus searing with high heat).

looking forward to "joining" you as you assemble you bday dinner. if you haven't been to MX, you should really plan a visit. the food there is amazing, we've never been disappointed. from your MX cooking adventures, you'd have a great time.

Back