Wooden handle and side table for a Spirit 500

Tom - Calgary

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and am looking to do a little restoration job on my Spirit 500 redhead. I have found sources for all the parts I'm looking for aside from the wooden handle and side table. The plastic on it right now is quite ugly so I'd rather upgrade to wood instead of replacing what's existing.

I've browsed a few restorations on the forum and have found that in most cases, people have crafted their own handle and side table. I don't have much for wood-crafting tools or skills so I would much rather buy the handle and side table if possible. I've been unable to find anyone selling these parts in the links stickied in the forum, so I'm looking to see if anyone has a wooden handle/side table for sale, or can point me in the right direction to find them.

Much appreciated,

Tom

Attachments

• IMG_20200419_144126.jpg
    IMG_20200419_144126.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 38
HI Tom, you can buy a wooden handle from suppliers like eReplacement Parts, GrillParts.com, etc.

I haven't seen new wooden tables for sale. Most people get metal z-bars, wood and assemble the table themselves. It is not too hard just tedious in my opinion

Tom
The wood tables and handles you have seen where probably all on three burner grills. But these will not fit on two burner grills since frame and lid have different dimensions. And even for the 3 burner grills you can no longer buy original wooden handles or tables. They have long been discontinued.
I think Weber never made wooden tables and handles for the 2 burner Spirit 500 or any of the other 2 burner Genesis/Spirit with the exception of the Genesis Junior. That Spirit 500 only came with the plastic handle and plastic table.
The handle you can find at ereplacement parts:

The table has been discontinued and is no longer available. But I think the table from the 2 burner 2007 Spirit E-210 or the 2 burner Genesis Silver A will fit as well. But they are freakin' expensive.

If you want a wooden table or wooden handle you need to build them yourself or have them custom made. I just built myself some wood tables made from cedar slats for my Genesis Skyline. I did not use z-bars and built them from wood only. You can also use the same cedar slats for handle. Not difficult but you need tools such as a saw, sander, drill, glue, screws....

Last edited:
Thanks for the detailed response! Looks like I'm going to invest in a couple of tools and try to track down some zbars to make my own side tableamd handle.
Appreciate the help.

You don't need z-bars. I just built shelves with the slats on top of the frame. The cross sections underneath are the same slats.
Meaning they are all wood and have no metal which can rust. And you can make them a little larger for more shelf space.

Attachments

• IMG_1386.jpg
    IMG_1386.jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 47
Yep, unless you have a thing about keeping it stock, do it the way Stefan says. Lot less expense and trouble for sure. Some even might say it looks better.

Yes, either way can be done. You can get z-bar metal and cut to the right size and then cut your slats accordingly. I have to say that Stefan’s approach has a lot to commend it both for style and eliminating rust potential. Z-bars made out of regular steel always rust and the contact with the metal frame spreads it. I think Stefan’s idea would reduce that issue.

I am not a stickler in regards to originality of the gas grills. They are not collectibles like the kettles. And I love the fact that you can swap parts within generations of these. I prefer to do what I like and what works for me. And also what is cheap. Below is my simple wood table design. I wanted wider tables to match the end pieces which are not original to this grill either. The grey dura wood slat shows how much larger the DIY table is. Just excuse the dirty grill. It has been sitting outside in all the pollen and rain.

Attachments

• C37CD03B-54A3-4F1E-A8FF-0767072F0F49.jpeg
    C37CD03B-54A3-4F1E-A8FF-0767072F0F49.jpeg
    209.7 KB · Views: 44
  • 7BED3F4A-ACE6-41DA-8514-06D4C48F8869.jpeg
    7BED3F4A-ACE6-41DA-8514-06D4C48F8869.jpeg
    230.4 KB · Views: 43
  • 9D1350AB-7744-495D-9C26-1111446CD8A2.jpeg
    9D1350AB-7744-495D-9C26-1111446CD8A2.jpeg
    193.8 KB · Views: 44
Stefan,

I am a gas grill collector of sorts (just ask my wife:rolleyes:), but I also like creative experimenting. So, your attractive custom creation is good by me just as much as a perfectly restored to original stock look. I think you have presented a really good alternative for us to try. Besides the rust reduction, it also allowed you to better fill in the gaps while using the newer style end pieces.

Those side tables look fantastic Stefan. I'm a fan of how you have the option to really maximize the area with them, especially considering how small of a surface the original table is. Fewer pieces to rust out is a definitely a bonus.
I think this is the approach I'll be taking, thanks for the great suggestion.

Hi Tom, welcome aboard. I am not sure about Calgary, but here in Halifax I found cedar the same width as the Weber slats at Home Depot. Then you only have to cut them to length. They also have some neighborhood groups here that share/loan tools so check the internet to see for your area before buying tools you might not need again. Even some libraries loan out tools.

Richard.

Back