Wood Handle Upgrade

Kyle in Woodstock

TVWBB Guru
Jon shared this link with me and I ended up grabbing one for my Performer. If I end up keeping my older SS Performer I’ll have to get one for it too. Looks so cool

ECAFE01D-8968-46D8-8044-5F895476D5D9.jpeg054CA424-9659-40BD-871C-9562A1AFC03F.jpeg769C8C5C-3E11-461B-A147-6C3453043FBD.jpeg

Wow, also just found this site, they have an entire wood set

These are both the same source, Brian O'Neal's grillhandle.com
I noticed some of the designs looked identical, so that makes sense!
Seems like quality product. Does the wood hold up better over plastic? I know the plastic rollers for my lid bale on the older SS performer are a little melted on the side that is closest to the bowl. Curious how this would reacts to that heat source.

Also, does anyone know....for the plastic piece that is the handle for the storage compartment on the SS performers, does that just pull off? Doesn't appear to have any set screw. Same with the damper handle?

Brian is da Bomb! He did some wood handles for me about 4 or 5 years ago. They still look just like new. I bought some 2 screw and some 1 screw models. His finishing is absolutely perfect. Most of my restorations are boxed and garaged for safe keeping. I highly recommend his products.

One thing that is really nice is that he laser cuts the logo and words. So, if you feel at some point you need to refinish your handle it is feasible for the average person to repaint the logo/words black. I have an artist friend who HAND PAINTED several of my old OEM Weber handles for me. I could never do that kind of artistry:

IMG_2023.jpgIMG_4758.jpg

Jon shared this link with me and I ended up grabbing one for my Performer. If I end up keeping my older SS Performer I’ll have to get one for it too. Looks so cool

View attachment 1107View attachment 1108View attachment 1109
That looks great! My favorite of his handle designs.

Almost seems like a shame to put those handles on a working grill and get them all dirtied up with smoke, greasy hand smudges, etc.

I've got a set I bought on ebay made of bubinga wood. They are holding up fine. The only drawback with the 1 screw variety is that the top of the handle can twist.

I don't think so. I think they were for different weber models. I'm kind of wary of overtighting a wood screw so it might be on me.

I bought a couple of the two screw models for my older rehabs. He even include metal colored round stickers to cover the screw heads so that your kettle looks like an original with a riveted handle! They appear to be identical in size to me, so I suppose you could drill out the hole on a newer kettle handle and use one. I am not sure I would do it myself, but it might work just fine. The one hole versions are the ones with all the interesting designs such as the "Weber The One. The Only." The two hole ones I think are only plain or just with the name "Weber" in the center.

Just bought an older On The Go portable propane grill for $15. It had the wooden handles, three of them! That’s really the only reason I bought it. Going to swap the handles for plastic ones and dress up my other Performer and Smokey Joe with the wooden ones. They are in pretty good shape. Not sure if I should refinish them or just leave as-is?2C106292-360A-4A10-9C11-A179CC6682D6.jpeg0B22DB74-8B25-4E10-877C-DEF4A8DCB567.jpeg242A1824-5C1B-4D63-8F22-29CA54B21295.jpeg

I would go easy on them, Kyle. They aren't bad at all, and too much cleaning will take the logos off. Maybe try just a soft cloth and plain soap. After drying, I would coat them well with spar urethane. If you like the gloss look (which I think protects the most) you can make them look like candy!

IMG_3942.jpg

I would go easy on them, Kyle. They aren't bad at all, and too much cleaning will take the logos off. Maybe try just a soft cloth and plain soap. After drying, I would coat them well with spar urethane. If you like the gloss look (which I think protects the most) you can make them look like candy!

View attachment 1590
Those look great Jon. I'm going to gently clean them today and throw some spar on tomorrow after they have dried out.

Wow, that worked out really nice. They make those grills look classy! Cleaned up nice and spar urethane makes the wood look warmer.

Back