Wood Chunk Suppliers

G

Well I have finally used the remainder of my wood chunks after a number of years. So off to the internet I go. Any recommendations on where to go?

A local apple orchard would be my first pick. Then I might try a local tree trimming/fire wood supplier. The problem with the internet is that the shipping cost for wood is out of proportion to it's base value.

Not sure where you're from, but in a pinch, there is a True Value store near me that has a lot of good supplies (wood included). Look around - there are usually better options than the internet due to shipping costs.

I agree with Jerry. I recently purchased 25 pounds of chunks on line, and the shipping cost was $17.00.

I am told that every once in a while you can find bags of chunks in HD, but honestly, I have not found anything but the chips at their stores.

I'm down in Venice, Florida (Sarasota). There's a local BBQ shop that offers chips of various types, but very expensive. Thanks for the input.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mont:
I'm down in Venice, Florida (Sarasota). There's a local BBQ shop that offers chips of various types, but very expensive. Thanks for the input. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not positive, but I think citrus is good smoke wood. I'm guessing there's plenty of that in FLA.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jerry N.:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mont:
I'm down in Venice, Florida (Sarasota). There's a local BBQ shop that offers chips of various types, but very expensive. Thanks for the input. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not positive, but I think citrus is good smoke wood. I'm guessing there's plenty of that in FLA. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Jerry, Yes citrus is very good smoke wood. I just used Orange wood pellets for my Tupelo Honey bacon I did a few weeks back. I also like to use orange when I do my Apple/Orange honey brined turkey for Thanksgiving.

If you can't find a local source and do have to order from the internet, smokinlicious.com has very good wood (all center cut with no bark) and they have about the best prices you can find for internet ordering.

Smokinglicious.com certainly does have a good selection, but the prices seem a bit high to me.

I'm a bit lazy and haven't checked out the local firewood guys here, but my local Lowes and Home Depot only seem to carry Hickory and Mesquite. Home Depot used to carry apple, oak, and cherry as well as hickory and mesquite, but no more it seems.

I've delt with a couple guys on ebay that offer good deals on smoke wood.

I have had good luck purchasing smoke wood from two guys off ebay.

The first is sixtyfive_ford:
http://shop.ebay.com/_Patio-Grilling__W0QQ_ssnZsixtyfiveQ5fford
he sent me a nice tightly packed box of great smoke wood.

and the second is pevansone: http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/pevansone
I just got a nice fully packed box of white oak from this guy, great deal. He also indicated, he will have other smoke woods available in the future.

Another guy on ebay that is offering scraps from a cabinet maker seems like a good deal too: http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/flashbayguy

You might want to look for local outdoor stores that carry hunting and fishing supplies. Such as a Gander Mountain, Cabelas, or Dunhans if you have any in the area. You can google the stores and check to see what is closest to you if there is a store in your area.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Smokinglicious.com certainly does have a good selection, but the prices seem a bit high to me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

At first glance it does appear that Smokinlicious is a bit pricey, however, if you run the numbers it's actually cheaper than the guys on eBay. I buy the 25 lb box and pay $37.55 (including shipping) or $1.48 per pound vs. the guy on eBay who sells 8 lbs $14.94 (including shipping) or $1.86 per pound.

I do really like Smokinlicious' wood, however I am looking for a local source where I don't have to pay as much for shipping. If memory serves me correctly 2/3 of what they charge goes to shipping fees.

The price difference may not seem much, however if you bought 200 lbs of wood in a year it would be a savings of approximately $75

Back