Wisconsin > Madison: Smoky Jon's #1 BBQ

Brad Olson

TVWBB Diamond Member
Smoky Jon's #1 BBQ has been a Madison institution for something like 40+ years and since it just happens to be be conveniently located near the Madison College campus I stopped by for an after-class visit a couple of days ago.

SmokyJonsMadisonWI20150331_1.jpg

As soon as you walk in the door you get an idea of how popular the restaurant's been over the years. It even catered a couple of my employer's company picnics back in the '90s.

SmokyJonsMadisonWI20150331_2.jpg

I'm pretty sure these are more barbecue awards, not recognition of an outstanding restroom. ;)

SmokyJonsMadisonWI20150331_3.jpg

The dining area's not very big, maybe a dozen or so tables. In fact, whenever I've been there it's seemed like there were more people carrying out than dining in.

SmokyJonsMadisonWI20150331_4.jpg

Shredded brisket. It was good but since sliced brisket is available as a plate meal I should've asked if I could've had sliced on my sandwich.

SmokyJonsMadisonWI20150331_5.jpg

1/3 slab of ribs with beans and garlic mashed potatoes, and a cup of extra sauce. The beans were more saucy than smoky but still had great flavor, and while mashed potatoes aren't a traditional barbecue side the ones that Smoky Jon's serves are really good.

SmokyJonsMadisonWI20150331_6.jpg

This was from the small end of the ribs. The rack had a nice smoke ring and the right amount of pull was needed to get the meat from the bone - very well cooked! Smoky Jon's sauce is tomato-based and not overly sweet, with a nice amount of heat and small pieces of onion mixed in. And the ribs are just fine sauceless, too.

SmokyJonsMadisonWI20150331_7.jpg

Last edited:

Back