Will smoker blacken canopy roof from just 1 use?

Bryan B

TVWBB Fan
I am having a big cookout this weekend and unfortunately the weather tomorrow is supposed to be terrible.

I am considering borrowing a friend's canopy to place over my WSM so I can smoke in the rain.

I've read in some others threads that the smoker can blacken the canopy roof over time.

My question is- do you think it will blacken it much from just 1 use?

I would hate for someone to do me a favor and let me borrow their canopy, only for me to cause permanent damage to it.

Thanks in advance,

Bryan

I doubt that one cooker, for one cook, will stain it at all. Smoker smoke dissipates pretty quickly. It will probably smell it up a little (that may or may not matter to your buddy).

Bryan,

I got stuck with the same dilemma cooking for Easter and had to throw my tent over my smoker for the first time. Nothing happened at all. I would not worry about it.

I use a 9' patio umbrella (about $60 at Home Depot) and an umbrella stand filled with sand or water. In fact, it used it last weekend when (shock of shocks!) it rained in Seattle just as I started my ribs and pork belly. The umbrella is a little too small to keep both me and my Genesis gas grill dry, but it works perfectly for when I'm using just the the WSM.

Back