Wicked find Genesis 4000 1990's Cast iron grate/stainless/porcelain

Ryley H

Hey everyone. I am new here and have recently acquired what I believe to be a Weber Genesis 4000. I got it for free from my neighbor and am currently in the process of restoring it.

I am looking to buy some cooking grates, since the ones in it are rusted out. I am trying to avoid the porcelain ones, and aim for cast iron or stainless steel.

Does anyone know where to buy cast iron? I can only seem to find porcelain grates.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210422_124622.jpg
    Screenshot_20210422_124622.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 28
Ryley,
When you say "porcelain" do you mean the thin steel grates that have rails shaped like an upside down "U"? If so, yeah, they are not a lot of people's favorite and definitely the low cost entry.

Virtually all cast iron grates that you might be able to find new are coated with porcelain in some way. The ones that I think are the worst have a thick, glossy coating of porcelain. Looks really nice new, but you can count on that porcelain to start peeling off and if you don't watch out ON to your food🤢.

The very original Weber cast iron grates seem to me to not have any coating. Some say they do but that it is "impregnated." In any event, they don't peel, but they are highly susceptible to rust if not given lots of care - maybe even storing inside during times of non-use. I still love these regardless of the hassle. If they do rust you just have to start over like you would on a cast iron skillet. The problem is that these were from long ago, so finding a nice set is pretty hard.

Maybe a much easier solution would be to look at some good stainless rod grates. These can give great sear marks, too, and are much more forgiving than cast iron and can be left outside in the winter, etc.

I did a thorough review of the stainless rod grates that were available back a year and a half ago. Some things have changed since then, but this might be of help to you in looking at your options. Prices and quality vary significantly:

Ryley,
When you say "porcelain" do you mean the thin steel grates that have rails shaped like an upside down "U"? If so, yeah, they are not a lot of people's favorite and definitely the low cost entry.

Virtually all cast iron grates that you might be able to find new are coated with porcelain in some way. The ones that I think are the worst have a thick, glossy coating of porcelain. Looks really nice new, but you can count on that porcelain to start peeling off and if you don't watch out ON to your food🤢.

The very original Weber cast iron grates seem to me to not have any coating. Some say they do but that it is "impregnated." In any event, they don't peel, but they are highly susceptible to rust if not given lots of care - maybe even storing inside during times of non-use. I still love these regardless of the hassle. If they do rust you just have to start over like you would on a cast iron skillet. The problem is that these were from long ago, so finding a nice set is pretty hard.

Maybe a much easier solution would be to look at some good stainless rod grates. These can give great sear marks, too, and are much more forgiving than cast iron and can be left outside in the winter, etc.

I did a thorough review of the stainless rod grates that were available back a year and a half ago. Some things have changed since then, but this might be of help to you in looking at your options. Prices and quality vary significantly:

Wow thanks for the extensive reply. I live in Canada so the weather is always all over the place. I think you are right about stainless being a better option.

There are so many different sizes online for my specific BBQ, I am currently not at home to measure the grates. Do you happen to know the grate size for my specific weber?

Thanks

You need ones that fit a Genesis 1000-5000 or Genesis Silver/Gold/Platinum (same size). Some will also mention the newer Spirit 300 series that uses this identical size grate. You cannot use grates for the 300 series Genesis grills or for the newest Genesis II grills.

You will find that they are typically 11.9 inches X 17.25 to 17.5 inches per single grate.

Just look up "Weber 7639" on Amazon or Google and you should find them.
Thanks Sam. I ended up purchasing these Amazon ones for $79 CAD. Hopefully they are decent.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210422_141421_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210422_141421_com.android.chrome.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 10
Thanks Jon I appreciate it. I have found some on amazon.ca that should would a hell of a lot better than the current rusted out ones.
You need ones that fit a Genesis 1000-5000 or Genesis Silver/Gold/Platinum (same size). Some will also mention the newer Spirit 300 series that uses this identical size grate. You cannot use grates for the 300 series Genesis grills or for the newest Genesis II grills.

You will find that they are typically 11.9 inches X 17.25 to 17.5 inches per single grate.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210422_141948.jpg
    Screenshot_20210422_141948.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 23
  • Screenshot_20210422_141930_com.huawei.himovie.overseas.jpg
    Screenshot_20210422_141930_com.huawei.himovie.overseas.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 23
The illusive 4000. I'm almost done restoring my 3000, and hope to find/build the right side swing table assembly to add at some point. That looks nice and good to see the OG wood handle still in good shape.

Back