Why, oh Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pat Smith

TVWBB Wizard
I saw the ad on CL last night - Weber One Touch - $5. I was all over it. The ad said it had some "rust spots" but I figured, what the heck! So I made my way to the house, met the very nice young couple who owned it, noticed some chicken cooking on a nice looking 22" One Touch at back, paid my $5 and put my new, little 18" OTS in the back of my truck.

When I looked at it, I noticed that both grates were shot - no problem, and I figured that the cleaning system would have to be replaced. Again, no problem.

However, when I managed to get all of the ashes cleaned out, I noticed that the bowl was rusted almost the entire length of one of the brackets spot welded to the inside of the grill to hold the grilling and charcoal grates. WOW! A challenge, to be sure!

I'll figure out something to allow this old DD Model OTS to be serviceable for a few more years, but this grill raised the question of WHY, OH WHY would you buy something made with the unquestioned quality of a Weber Grill and then mistreat it and abuse it to the point that it starts to rust out that badly! If you're going to ignore and mistreat something, buy the el cheapo from Walmart and just toss it every year when you're done.

I'll likely get some relatively thin steel strips fabricate one to go over the rusted out strip on the charcoal bowl, then paint the strip with 2000 degree high temperature paint, but Jeez man, did you have to abuse her like that?

Rant over!

Pat

There's a guy that lives down the road from me that has started a business of picking up stuff and selling it to the scrap yard by the pound. It's always interesting to drive by and see what he's picked up in the last couple of days. I've seen an amazing number of grills in his truck. Most of them are the el-cheapo ones that can be bought at the box stores but every so often he gets a nice one. They are usually in really bad shape. It just doesn't make sense to spend that kind of money and then trash it like that.

I'm tempted to tell him that if he picks up any Weber charcoal grills to call me before scrapping them.

Russ

Life is never easy for a Weber rescuer Pat
icon_smile.gif

If anyone can save her, I'm sure you can!

Been formulating the plan Bob. I think a trip to Lowes will pull it all together. Some thin steel strips, some pop rivets, some high temperature paint, and an afternoon, and I think it'll be all good! She'll probably turn out to be my fish grill when everything is said and done.

Russ, I saw a guy like that on my street this weekend. I started to stop and ask him to let me go through his truck!

Pat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back