Why All The Temp Issues?

Chris Binny

TVWBB Fan
A lot of conversation of low temps lately and honestly a lot since I joined the forum. Talks about gas pressure and science projects to correct...

I have bought 3 old timers. A trashed Spirit 700 in 2017, a 1999 Genesis 3000 in 2020, and a Skyline 1000 in 2021. All had been around the block and used. 2 of 3 needed burner parts. Either way, I replaced what was needed, cleaned them up, flushed the burners, still used the original regulators, and no problems whatsoever.

Why are people experiencing temp problems so much? Wind and winter don't bother me, they still work.

What am I missing?

I don't think you're missing anything, Chris, your experience is the same as mine. However, people just don't tend to get on here and post "hey, fired up the grill, and it's working just like it did last time!" So, you are more likely to see posts of people having issues, since they are the ones looking for some help to fix it.

BTW, I just fired up my free '04 Summit.....it's working just fine. ;)

R

I hear you. I guess I just don't understand where all these problems come from if you do the basics of sound parts and cleaning.

There is no better feeling of one click on a 22 year old genesis firing right up.

I hear you. I guess I just don't understand where all these problems come from if you do the basics of sound parts and cleaning.

There is no better feeling of one click on a 22 year old genesis firing right up.
You are right about that. It kind of makes sense that you could have parts failures along the way (ignitors, wires, valves, manifolds, regulators, burners, crossovers, tank safety valves, etc.) I think that for the vast majority of users, these actual failures are pretty few and far between, and they do just fine with regular (or no) maintenance. My experience says failures are the exception more than the norm, especially with the older, ostensibly higher quality, Weber gear.

It's the same with cars. I've had instances where a friend has the same car, similar age, similar miles, and VERY different experiences with failure. Again, my experience with cars (knocking furiously on wood here) has been that they are very reliable, and just need gas, oil, tires, and some maintenance at regular intervals.

Fortunately, if you DO have a failure on your Weber, it's likely a pretty cheap fix, or you can find a donor grill with a little looking. :)

R

I think there's more to it than taking a grill that was working well and keeping it working well.

I think sometimes it is "change related" like an NG to LP conversion or moved and NG pressure isn't good etc.

The temperature problems often stem from conversions and I see a lot of propane tank regulator type issues. No shortage of witchcraft to use those tank systems either. I agree though that here is where one would go with a problem, especially an obscure one. Or, a person might be more or less handy with stuff too. Not a bad thing, that person might be able to defend me against a jury of my peers, or perform brain surgery.

I guess I picked the wrong place to look for help with making a grill perform like it should. 3 years old, not a conversion, and neither Weber nor my NG utility has a solution for a problem that has existed since new.

Goodbye all. TJH

I guess I picked the wrong place to look for help with making a grill perform like it should. 3 years old, not a conversion, and neither Weber nor my NG utility has a solution for a problem that has existed since new.

Goodbye all. TJH
I saw that thread. I think you pretty much figured it out right? Weren't you able to regulate the NG pressure, then adjust orifices to get the correct air fuel mix? I read that with great interest and gratitude that it hadn't happened to me.

I'm not saying there isn't GREAT information on this forum. There are just a lot of people looking for basic information too, which I think is OK as well.

Goodbye all. TJH

@Terry Hlavaty

I like to read about what others are asking for help on, because I never know when I'll trip into a similar situation.

I don't have NG on my back patio but a friend does, and I was considering trading E330s with her as she has an NG connection on her back patio, and mine was a conversion from NG to LP on the cheap because I could not find a manifold at the time.

After reading your challenges I realized I'd better do some homework first.

Please don't let a comment of one or two send you away.

The main issues crop up when people do improper mods i.e. gas conversions LP to NG or NG to LP, because A they believed people who lied to them (Ebay sellers for example), or just decided to ignore good advice or simply could not find good advice.
Also a dearth of junk Chinese parts like regulators that don't maintain proper pressure or simply buying the wrong regulators like the ones shown as "adjustable" meant primarily for high flow (50k BTU and up) and use the regulator diaphragm as means of controlling appliance heat.
But if people stick to what the appliance should be used with there is typically no problems

Back