Who makes Weber Briquettes?

timothy

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
I did a Google search and couldn't find any answers. I've read a few threads where some think Weber is gonna discontinue offering them.
Ya know Weber doesn't have a charcoal plant, so who makes them, maybe Royal Oak?

Tim

We don't have a definitive answer to this questions. Since the beginning, there have been two theories. 1) It's made for Weber by Royal Oak. 2) It's made for Weber by Barbecue Wood Flavors. BWF sells wood dust to Kingsford for flavored briquettes and they supply the wood chips sold under the Kingsford label. Their website also says they were owned by Weber for six years...so maybe that relationship was rekindled to make Weber charcoal.

"Barbeque Wood Flavors is a Texas family corporation. The stock is owned by George Wartsbaugh, President. It is the only one of the three original chip and chunk processing plants in the United States that is still in business today.

"Barbeque Wood Flavors was started in 1984, under the name of Bloomfield Farms and was the first fully integrated, high speed chip and chunk processing system in the U.S. with a year around uniform product capability. It was sold to George Wartsbaugh in 1986 and then to Weber-Stephen Products that same year. The name was changed to Barbeque Wood Flavors after the Weber-Stephen purchase. In 1992, the company was sold back to George Wartsbaugh and in 1994, Barbeque Wood Flavors acquired Flying W Wood Products, which was also one of the three original wood producers in the United States."

Learn something new everyday. :) I had no idea Weber was an owner of a plant.
The BWF site doesn't show price or how or where to buy. I did a google search for Barbecue Wood Flavors and got a few hits.
Ace, Amazon and Walmart.
I hope that price is a typo.. Yikes.

Tim

Yea, I seen that, but that's "made for" not "made by", and by whom?
Tim
I don't know who make them, but they're not made by Weber.

Weber briquettes are featured in the 2020 Weber product catalog, so I think they will be with us at least through this year.
I fear not past this year. Go to Weber.com ->Accessories->Cooking->Charcoal Briquettes and Accessories. When you land on that page, the Charcoal Briquettes are no where to be found. Earlier this year, the briquettes did appear on the Charcoal Briquettes and Accessories page. Searching for the part no. 17950 does not yield anything other than a link to part no. 17150, Mesquite Wood Chunks. I contacted Weber through their website several weeks asking about Charcoal Briquetts, but I did not receive a reply.

Go to Weber.com ->Accessories->Cooking->Charcoal Briquettes and Accessories. When you land on that page, the Charcoal Briquettes are no where to be found.
Yes, the briquettes aren't shown there. The landing page is still found via a Google search for "weber charcoal briquettes":

It also appears I can buy it online at Home Depot for delivery to my local store.

True Value marked it down to $6.99/bag online sale, but they are sold out.

https://www.truevalue.com/premium-charcoal-hardwood-briquettes-20-lbs

Weird time of year to have that much of a sale. Farm and Fleet had the same sale last month. Jim Lampe bought a truckload. This does not look good for the continued existence of Weber Briquettes.
Just checked this link out, it is in stock for me on the east coast, there is just no ship to store options in PA due the the closures, I could order 10 bags to be delivered in VA at a store 70 mins away. I will keep watching this to see if it can be shipped to my local store here on Friday.

Went to my local True Value and got the last bag they had. Seeing that we are at stage II fire restrictions I won't be able to try it out until late Sept. or early Oct.

You pay for a name, so if we can find out who makes it, we can save some cash.
Royal Oak makes BGE lump and when Kmart was around they also made Martha Stewart lump.
Both sold at a premium, but it was the same lump as the red bag RO you can find anywhere ( for less)
Tim

Just checked this link out, it is in stock for me on the east coast, there is just no ship to store options in PA due the the closures, I could order 10 bags to be delivered in VA at a store 70 mins away. I will keep watching this to see if it can be shipped to my local store here on Friday.
I can't get ship to store, but there are stores in my area that show it in stock. However, none of the stores with it in stock have it at the $6.99 price according to the website. But the website also indicates it is online only. This sound to me that they want to clear it out of their warehouses.

One theory is that it is Royal Oak Chef's Select without the ridges. The ridges are relatively new. The old Chef's Select didn't have them. It's a great charcoal. I don't think the price is that out of line except when compared with KBB and Royal Oak. I still have a few bags from the sale from last year.

One theory is that it is Royal Oak Chef's Select without the ridges. The ridges are relatively new. The old Chef's Select didn't have them. It's a great charcoal. I don't think the price is that out of line except when compared with KBB and Royal Oak. I still have a few bags from the sale from last year.
My local BBQ shop has Royal Oak Chef's Select 40 lb bag for $23, that seems like worth a try.

The briquettes are still on Weber's Canadian page.

Weber Briquettes - Weber Canada

We don't have nearly as many choices here, and getting charcoal from the US is a no-go, so I'm glad that Weber briquettes is still an option and hope they don't discontinue having some company manufacture them.

Anyone able to find this anywhere? I’ve called around to all the usual spots I could get it in the past. All out of stock.

I am leaning towards this theory. The more I snoop around, the more the pre-ridge chef’s select look exactly like today’s Weber briquettes. Anyone have a time frame when the ridges on Chef’s select were introduced, compared to when Weber briquettes started being sold? I’d wager a guess that the time frames would be similar, if this theory is in fact correct. Chef’s select is not readily available in Canada, which might explain why Weber discontinued their sales of the briquettes in the U.S. (but Weber is available in Canada.) Same product, 2 names, 2 markets, more profit. Why would anyone buy a 20 lbs bag of Weber in Canada, if we could buy a 40 lbs bag of Chef’s select for less, providing they were the same product? RO pulls Chef’s select from Canada, and rebrands it as Weber, then re-designs the Chef’s select and increases the bag size, after pulling Weber from the U.S. Maybe, just maybe.

Last edited:

Back