Who has installed their welded auger?

Shane - glitchy

TVWBB Super Fan
I finally got Weber to send me a welded auger. I was impressed with how fast I got it, they put the order in on Thursday and I had it Friday (I'm only about 300 miles from Chicago). Anyway, I decided to go ahead and dive right in and get it installed. It really wasn't that bad, but gosh, easily took over an hour and required several different tools including a Torx T20. I'm really really surprised that they would expect a lot of owners could or would be willing to do this. I know a lot of people that would open up the instruction sheet and just say no way, too complicated for me. As well, I know several people that have no idea what a Torx head is.

I'm also curious how many RTDs have been damaged by people trying to replace this part? Seems really odd to have people removing the entire hopper to begin with, but then not to have us disconnect the RTD first.

Last edited:
I have one sitting in the garage. My SF has been working great since the updated app and firmware. I’m pretty good with the tools but haven’t had a free day with good weather.

Good information on the torx t20.

I finally got Weber to send me a welded auger. I was impressed with how fast I got it, they put the order in on Thursday and I had it Friday (I'm only about 300 miles from Chicago). Anyway, I decided to go ahead and dive right in and get it installed. It really wasn't that bad, but gosh, easily took over an hour and required several different tools including a Torx T20. I'm really really surprised that they would expect a lot of owners could or would be willing to do this. I know a lot of people that would open up the instruction sheet and just say no way, too complicated for me. As well, I know several people that have no idea what a Torx head is.

I'm also curious how many RTDs have been damage by people trying to replace this part? Seems really odd to have people removing the entire hopper to begin with, but then not to have us disconnect the RTD first.

I'm planning to install mine later today. Did yours come with a motor already attached? Mine did so hoping that saves some time in not having to remove and re-install the old one.

Installation of the hopper is not a big deal - a little time on the right day beats banging on the keyboard. Biggest thing is installation of the cotter pin that attaches the auger. Not hard but experience helps. On some of the older installs, Weber included bolts that were too long to reinstall the motor on the new mounting bracket. Just used a spacer to tighten down. And welded hopper does help the unit perform better.

I just installed both my auger assembly and hopper slide today. I'd allow at least an hour for doing this. It's not hard but requires some patience. Weber included a torx driver with the hopper slide so that was nice. I had a REV-A motor so that's why they sent me the auger with REV-F motor already installed on it. My auger chute gasket had already failed and had pellet dust pushing through it. Makes sense that was causing trouble for people now.

Mine's on the way - just the welded chute assembly. I have the tools, I'm sure I can get it in. My problem is getting my skinny old butt off the garage floor when I finish. You know you're old when getting up off the floor is now an integral part of your floor exercise routine. :unsure: Can it be done sitting in a folding chair?

I just installed both my auger assembly and hopper slide today. I'd allow at least an hour for doing this. It's not hard but requires some patience. Weber included a torx driver with the hopper slide so that was nice. I had a REV-A motor so that's why they sent me the auger with REV-F motor already installed on it. My auger chute gasket had already failed and had pellet dust pushing through it. Makes sense that was causing trouble for people now.

I'd say an hour is appropriate. I started the job in a lazy way and didn't figure out all the tools that I needed before hand. So there were probably 4 trips to the basement for tools. I pulled the integrated grill temp probe right away so I could separate the hopper so that it didn't have to sit right behind the grill while I did the other tasks. I can see where the angles of the new chute would be better for pellet loading, plus the lack of open spaces where the chute and the auger tube were bolted together won't collect so much sawdust now that it's a solid welded unit. My motor is Rev D. Not sure if it's a big deal or not. I fired it up to 600 straight away and it probably took less that 20 minutes. Then this evening I brought it back up to 600 for fillets. All is good, or even better now.

I had my wife hold the hopper so I didn't have to completely separate it. That allowed me to wiggle the auger assembly into place and made putting the hopper back on easier. If you have an extra set of hands this will save a little time. Just don't drop a screw into the auger chute when you're almost done like I did. :LOL:

I also had a hard time replacing the torx screw with the little driver they provided. I eventually said "screw it" and just used one of the extra phillips head screws that is the same size.

I fired mine up afterwards and reached to 600 in 19 minutes. I'm betting with lower humidity I can get that down to around 15 minutes. Not bad considering my smaller 3-burner Weber Spirit takes 13 or so minutes to reach those temps.

Just don't drop a screw into the auger chute when you're almost done like I did. :LOL:

LOL LOL LOL. I stuffed the rag into the chute like they said, but then didn't do all reassembly in the order in the manual and put the lid on the hopper as the last step as I had set it off to the side and had everything else within arms reach. Unfortunately, I did remove the rag when instructed and I somehow dropped two washers down into the auger putting the lid back on and had to pull the motor and auger shaft to get them out :poop:

Mine's on the way - just the welded chute assembly. I have the tools, I'm sure I can get it in. My problem is getting my skinny old butt off the garage floor when I finish. You know you're old when getting up off the floor is now an integral part of your floor exercise routine. :unsure: Can it be done sitting in a folding chair?

It should be possible, you don't really have to be on your back for anything. One of the little rolling stools would probably work best if you have one.

Installed the new chute and auger last night. Definitely a process. That foam gasket is a very poor design. Did anyone have burn marks on the old chute?

A couple of things I would suggest:

1. Prior to mounting the chute on the hopper. Run the screws in/out of the chute first and then mount and screw the chute to the hopper. This will make it much easier to tighten the screws even with a socket wrench.

2. With a flashlight check for any light leaks where the hopper mounts to the chute. On the backside of the chute, noticed a small gap. Applied some silicone from underneath to fill the gap. This will help prevent pellet dust from falling down around the motor area and electrical wires.

Th and going to give it a go soon. Ordered a Klein T20 for $8 just to make it easier and maybe more fun.

Good tools do make any job more enjoyable! There's nothing like a good screwdriver. I used a Milwaukee impact driver with a bit extension for almost everything on this job.

I have a huge Milwaukee kit myself. Nothing like a quality tool, I’ve been In construction for 25 years and while I don’t use the tools as much anymore I know the guys need good stuff to do the jobA546FF6C-8B03-440A-9EFA-B81E18BC6F9E.png

Last edited:

Back