Who has a meatball recipe they absolutely love?

Seth Boardman

TVWBB Fan
I made a bunch of meatballs a few weeks ago and don't get me wrong they are good but I feel like they are missing something. I didn't measure anything but I put in Italian seasoning, garlic, salt, pepper, Worcestershire sauce, cheese, oregano, and maybe a few other things that I can't think of at the moment. Just wondering what everyone else is putting in theirs. Also is fresh garlic stronger than the minced garlic in water? I put a lot of that in and didn't really taste it at all. Thanks in advance!

Bacon wrapped meatballs with a mango bbq sauce. Grilled them last night for the third time recently and the family loves them and are simple. Only seasoning we use on them is Weber Gourmet Burger seasoning.

1) Go to Costco
2) Go to freezer section
3) Pick up bag of frozen Italian Style Meatballs
4) Cook in red sauce, mushroom sauce, cream sauce, bbq sauce etc....they work in almost everything!

To be honest, I've made a few different recipes from scratch, and in the end I've never been happy or impressed enough that it has made enough difference. I'm looking forward to see what get's posted here...

I made a bunch of meatballs a few weeks ago and don't get me wrong they are good but I feel like they are missing something. I didn't measure anything but I put in Italian seasoning, garlic, salt, pepper, Worcestershire sauce, cheese, oregano, and maybe a few other things that I can't think of at the moment. Just wondering what everyone else is putting in theirs. Also is fresh garlic stronger than the minced garlic in water? I put a lot of that in and didn't really taste it at all. Thanks in advance!
Can't help you on the recipe, but my experience with minced garlic in water puts it as a lot weaker in flavor and aroma than fresh garlic.

Ours are very simple and everyone loves them. Given to us by a caterer:

1 bag of frozen meatballs (we use turkey ones, but beef are good too)
1-1 1/2 cups of ketchup
1 envelope Lipton's onion soup mix
1 bottle beer (Bud Light, Corona, Yuengling, nothin' fancy)

Put everything in a crock pot, and let it roll. Stir about 2 hours in, then occasionally, total cook time 4 hours.

Charlie

6B201142-B1B6-4A82-9316-BFB26E628743.jpeg
I use 80/20 ground Chuck, Progresso Italian Style Bread Crumbs, and the plain Kraft Parmesan Cheese. Fresh Parmesan doesn’t work because it melts.
It’s a simple recipe but you can add anything you want to it.
I weigh it after it’s mixed and then divide by the size meatballs I want to make.
I cook on parchment paper

What kinda meat did you use, straight up ground beef or did you add some ground pork and veal?
I go half and half on the beef/pork and a quarter on the veal. If you want to omit the veal soak a few slices of bread (cubed) in milk.
That replaces the moisture that the veal offers.
I also mix everything in a bowl and let it sit in the fridge for at least an hour. That lets the flavors meld, and then fry up a small chunk and taste and adjust seasonings if needed.

What kinda meat did you use, straight up ground beef or did you add some ground pork and veal?
I go half and half on the beef/pork and a quarter on the veal. If you want to omit the veal soak a few slices of bread (cubed) in milk.
That replaces the moisture that the veal offers.
I also mix everything in a bowl and let it sit in the fridge for at least an hour. That lets the flavors meld, and then fry up a small chunk and taste and adjust seasonings if needed.
I just use ground chuck. I mold mine and let them sit in the fridge for several hours. If I’m going to use them for spaghetti I cook them and put them in the sauce the day before.

OK Seth, I got out my meatball recipes binder and here is what I found out. I have meatball recipes coming out the ying yang. LOL Here is what I have. Meatball recipes from 17 different countries, meatball soup, stews, sandwich, stroganoff, sweet and sour, and recipes using store bought. Any of these appeal to you?

Opps, one more type, CURRY - one with curry in the meatballs, one with curry just in the sauce, and one with curry both in the meatballs and the sauce. ;)

Last edited:
Bacon wrapped meatballs with a mango bbq sauce. Grilled them last night for the third time recently and the family loves them and are simple. Only seasoning we use on them is Weber Gourmet Burger seasoning.
Kelly, do you have a recipe that you would like to share? They do sound good and I love bacon and mango's.

Here is a recipe I posted here on 10-13-20

German Meatballs

1/2 lb. ground round
1/2 lb. ground pork
1/4 cup dry breadcrumbs
1 1/2 TB. chopped fresh parsley
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. prepared mustard
1/2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 egg white, lightly beaten
vegetable cooking spray
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup Riesling or other slightly sweet white wine
1/2 cup nonfat sour cream
1/4 tsp. pepper

1. Combine the first 8 ingredients in a bowl; stir well. Shape mixture into 24 (1") meatballs.
2. Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray; place over medium heat until hot. Add meatballs; cook 10 minutes until browned, stirring frequently. Remove from skillet; set aside.
3. Add garlic to skillet; saute 30 seconds. Add wine; bring to a boil over medium heat, and cook 1 minute. Return the meatballs to skillet; cover and cook 5 minutes or until done. Remove from heat.
4. Remove meatballs from the skillet with a slotted spoon; set aside and keep warm. Add sour cream (at room temperature) and pepper to wine mixture in skillet; stir well. Spoon sauce over meatballs. Yield: 4 serving

Source: C. L. 1-95

Hi Rich, I don't know if Seth will come back and check them out, but I did. Lot of good ideas there. Thanks, just what I need. LOL I have a booklet that I received with my Food Network mag. back in 2015, called "50 meatballs". Not the same thing tho.

I always make fresh breadcrumbs when making meatloaf or meatballs.
Fresh bread, lightly toasted, allow to dry out for an hour or so, grind in food processor.
oh … I also use home ground chuck.

Mark, I hate to say this (you know I love fishing) but, I think you should change your avatar picture to one with you in a CHEF hat. ;)

Back