Which grates are these and would you use them?

Tork T

TVWBB Member
Hey forum folks,

Rehab on my Gen 2000 is coming along, and I might fire it up tonight!

I have two sets of grates. The more stout looking came with my Gen 2000. The other rounder tube looking grates are from the 1000 LX.

Which types of grates are these, and more importantly should I use them for cooking (until I order the stainless from RC)? I'd clean them up before using!

Thanks for the help, again...IMG_8400.jpg

IMG_8399.jpg

The top ones are stamped steel grates. THey look like Stainless steel, but could be ceramic coated steel. They are the "economy" level grates, but they do work. The bottom set are cast iron and a definite step up if they are in good shape. I would not hesitate to cook on either until your RCP grates arrive as long as you clean them up first and do a good burn in on them to get rid of any cleaning agents and left over whatever.

Bruce- you are always there to answer my questions. If I were closer I’d hightail it to your place with refreshments. Thanks a bunch!

I agree with Bruce, but I will say that those cast iron grates are the ones with a porcelain coating. You can see that a bunch of it has failed, peeling off (hopefully not on food 😧). Then rust sets in. This always happens with these. The problem is that unless you are willing to invest in a LOT of grinding and scraping to remove ALL the porcelain that could touch your food you might find porcelain in your burgers! If you are up to that kind of work, grind it and then season it like a cast iron frying pan. Keep it well oiled all the time. Cast iron is still my sentimental favorite; it is just a lot more work then stainless rods. Good stainless rods - certainly rcplanebuyer/Dave Santana ones are SUPER GOOD - will cook about as well.

One last thing: I sometimes am misunderstood as pushing people away from Dave's TOP DRAWER stainless rod grates. Not at all! However, they are certainly more costly then some other options that many users will find quite satisfactory. A couple of the best of the alternatives get at least close to Dave's in quality, but none are his equal. Each person needs to do their own cost benefit based on intended use (keep, gift, flip?) and how much they expect to use the grill and how much they want to spend.

Here is an extensive comparison I did late last year. Some things and prices probably have changed, but it does give you something to evaluate options from. These grates will fit your grill except as noted in the write-up.

Agree with Jon and Bruce. The porcelain coated cast iron grates are my favorites I have them on my Geneses 2000 and my E320. I'm very carful how I clean them the ones on the E320 are 11 years old and that grill gets used a lot. Always oil them up before cooking so the clean up is easier on me and the grates.
But from past experience I think both sets of grates are toast. I would spend whatever you can afford and get a new set of grates for your own safety.

Last edited:
I have the stamped steel porcelain coated grates in your first picture. I love them. Have had since new (2005) and they still clean up like new. Porcelain intact, no rust until now. Mind you I don’t scrape with a steel scraper, I use brass.

i think this will be my last summer though, I let the tray cleaning go too long and had a wicked grease fire, result the porcelain in places is now puckered. Expect it will chip and rust. I will go with the same grates because I’m used to them and they do leave nice sear marks, wider than the rod style, especially good looking on pork or chicken. There are stamped stainless available aftermarket in the same design and I am considering those but not sure I’m up for the discolouration and might miss the non stick of the porcelain. I don’t oil my grates before cooking yet nothing sticks.

That year was an interesting one for grates, I don’t know if other years were the same but the BBQs were being sold with at least 3 different grates, depending which big box or specialty store you went to. Stainless rod, cast iron (can’t recall if porcelain coated) and the porcelain coated stamped steel. Price difference was about $100. As well my version of the Genesis B has only the plain Weber Badge on the hood. That is, it doesn’t say silver/gold/platinum. I think the next year these went to the Spirit line. The box said Genesis, and the serial number comes up as Genesis Silver B. Maybe I have the Bronze Edition ;)

Edit, I thought the shiny parts of the grates in the first picture were plain steel showing through after you scraped off the rust and crud. If they are in fact stainless then clean them up and you’re good to go...you can always buy new grates later if you don’t like them.

Last edited:
I agree with everything that has been said. However I would add that if those top grates are stainless as they appear to be (and not porcelain coated steel) then those are pretty good long lasting grates that I wouldn't hesitate to use.

My genesis 1000 that I inherited from my father had those stainless stamped grates and they gave him really good service for over 20 years. They were just starting to wear out when I rehabbed the grill 4 years ago. No they aren't as durable as the solid rod type stainless grates but they are still pretty good.

I was wondering if the pressed grates were stainless. They seem light weight so I thought they were some cheap stamped aftermarket affair.
I’ll clean them up and see how they look. Thanks Greg!

Tork, they could easily be aftermarket, but generally the stamped SS grates will outlast the stamped porcelain coated ones.

Back