Which do you prefer???

Gary Bramley

TVWBB Pro
Do you use use wood chunks, wood chips sprinkled throughout the charcoal chamber, or chips in a foil pack?

Q'n, Golf'n & Grill'n....too many choices!
Gary

Chunks here mostly. If I use apple or cherry I have chips only because chips is all I can get locally. All the rest is chunks and sometimes both,,put 2 or 3 big chunks in with the charcoal and then sprinkle a handful of chips on the top.

Randy

Chunks here, though mine look more like sticks; long and thin splits from logs, usaully 12 to 16 inches long and around 1 inch square. Small enought to get in the WSM, long enough that I don't waste space in the Brinkman.

I use both pellets (pouches) and chunks. Having a Traeger makes the pellet approach a no brainer. Really find pellet pouches very helpful on the kettle. Saturday I used chunks for beer-can chicken on the WSM.

I prefer chunks on the wsm. I do use pellets on occasion pretty much the Jack Daniels though. I have not ever used chips on the wsm but I use chips on the kettle quite often for meatloaf.

I probably use more chips than chunks. Sometimes I soak them sometimes not. I like to mix them with different flavored woods. In a foil pack only on the genesis. Spread throughout the coals on the kettle.

I have to say both equally. I would only use chunks if i could get them in all the flevors that i use!
icon_cool.gif

Windy City Smokers

Chunks about the size of a baseball. I get the logs then cut them in to pieces and store in a rubermaid container.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Clark "Harbormaster" Hodgson:
Chunks here, though mine look more like sticks; long and thin splits from logs, usaully 12 to 16 inches long and around 1 inch square. Small enought to get in the WSM, long enough that I don't waste space in the Brinkman. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Clark,
It sounds like you have pretty good luck with "sticks" in the WSM. This is a newbie question, but how does this compare to using tennis ball sized chunks? I have access to plenty of apple sticks and some cherry from my own pruning. From other threads I have read here, I am leary of using the smaller diameter stuff. I would like to hear your thoughts (or anyone else's) on this.

Mike

Mike,
When I say "sticks" I don't mean the smaller twigs and such. I start with a full size log from a limb or trunk. When I take a tree, I cut the logs smaller than the standard 16" typical for wood burning. I generally cut them 8"-12" long. I then split them with axe/hatchet until they are about 1"-2" square. All this does is saves cutting with the chainsaw. I could cut stuf into 3"-4" discs and split them, but thats a lot of chainsaw work.
When I build my Minion Method fire, I fill the ring about half full with lump, and 4 of my "sticks" in a pattern that looks like # and cover with additional lump. Then dump a chimney full of lit lump over it.
As far as the smaller branches, I used some small maple pieces like that and really didn't care for the smell, so I stick with the larder pieces from trunks and limbs.

I've been using chunks. I can get 100# sacks of small split logs in oak, hickory or mesquite for about $10 per bag. If I get them, I'll probably end up using my mitre saw to cut them down.

Hey Scott is that available by mail order. Got a link?

I am sure some here are interested. I find most of my wood locally but I do like to use mesquite occasionally but I hate to pay $10 for a 5 pound bag or what ever size it is.

Back